Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Sunkari
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

What is Power BI embedded?

What is difference between Power BI embedded(link) and Integrate a Power BI tile or report into an app(link)?

Power BI embedded(link😞

Can we use this feature for integrating existing dashboards into external application?

If yes, then how security will be handled?

Every user, who has access to external application requires Power BI Account?

Integrate a Power BI tile or report into an app(link😞

Can we use this feature for integrating existing dashboards into external application?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Brian_M
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi Sunkari, I'm no expert but hopefully this gets you on the right track.
@Sunkari wrote:

What is difference between Power BI embedded(link) and Integrate a Power BI tile or report into an app(link)?

Embedded can only be used for outside your own organisation (i.e. you are a software provider), and it does not use Power BI accounts. I attended a recent Roadshow - it is very promising but in early stages.

You manage the access via a secure key inside your application. The billing is on a per render basis. Currently, your datasource needs to be Azure SQL, Azure SQL Data Warehouse or HDInsight and it works only in DirectQuery mode. This should expand to cached mode and / or other cloud data sources over time.

Power BI Tile or report in your app, as far as I see in your link above, it is Azure AD authentication. You would take this approach if you have internal users and if they are signed into your app or their computer with their AD credentials. The billing is by subscription.

Power BI embedded(link😞

There are a number of steps to get startedEmbedded only supports reports at the moment, not dashboards yet. Support for dashboards will be coming later apparently.

You upload reports by uploading a .PBIX file using the API.  

Check out this blog post for embedded plus this for information on the security / authentication model. The security is currently applied at the Workspace level I think.

No. It does not use any PowerBI account for the user. You have a key that you generate in Azure for your application and then you (the software vendor) are charged per render.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Brian_M
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi Sunkari, I'm no expert but hopefully this gets you on the right track.
@Sunkari wrote:

Embedded can only be used for outside your own organisation (i.e. you are a software provider), and it does not use Power BI accounts. I attended a recent Roadshow - it is very promising but in early stages.

You manage the access via a secure key inside your application. The billing is on a per render basis. Currently, your datasource needs to be Azure SQL, Azure SQL Data Warehouse or HDInsight and it works only in DirectQuery mode. This should expand to cached mode and / or other cloud data sources over time.

Power BI Tile or report in your app, as far as I see in your link above, it is Azure AD authentication. You would take this approach if you have internal users and if they are signed into your app or their computer with their AD credentials. The billing is by subscription.

Power BI embedded(link😞

There are a number of steps to get startedEmbedded only supports reports at the moment, not dashboards yet. Support for dashboards will be coming later apparently.

You upload reports by uploading a .PBIX file using the API.  

Check out this blog post for embedded plus this for information on the security / authentication model. The security is currently applied at the Workspace level I think.

No. It does not use any PowerBI account for the user. You have a key that you generate in Azure for your application and then you (the software vendor) are charged per render.

Sunkari
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

@Brian_M:Thanks man. This is very useful information.

"I attended a recent Roadshow - it is very promising but in early stages"

Where i will get these kind of session details? These are paid or free sessions?

Could you provide more details on this.

Brian_M
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

It was a free event, final one is San Francisco on 17 May.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/announcing-the-power-bi-embedded-launch-roadshow/

A lot of the information is covered in the Azure articles, especially following the Get Started section here:

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/power-bi-embedded-get-started/

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.