Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

RobMar74
Frequent Visitor

Website with Power BI unable to see Group/Workspace

I am a Power BI/SQL developer who has inherited a website that integrates with Power BI using C# APIs. This has been working fine until today - whenever I attempt to load a Power BI report from the website, it throws an exception which I've tracked down in the code to here:

var groupId = (await PowerBIClient.Groups.GetGroupsAsync()).Value.FirstOrDefault()?.Id;
        if (string.IsNullOrEmpty(groupId))
        {
            throw new EntryPointNotFoundException("No group available, need to create a group and upload a report");
        }

When I attempted to load the Workspace containing the reports in the Power BI portal, I found that I no longer had access, because for some reason my pro license was now a free license (I was also unable to publish reports to the portal). After renewing the license for me, I regained access and once again could publish.

My current assumption is that the two are related. I'm trying to find how Power BI access is granted from the website, and if it is possible that the account used to access this could have also been downgraded to free?!

Does anyone know how I can find which user has access to the report? Is it defined on the App Service in Azure? Unfortunately, everyone who knows about the website set up were either contractors or have left, so there is no one else here I can turn to.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @RobMar74 ,

var groupId = (await PowerBIClient.Groups.GetGroupsAsync()).Value.FirstOrDefault()?.Id;
        {
            throw new EntryPointNotFoundException("No group available, need to create a group and upload a report");
        }

When your pro license is downgraded to a free license, you will lose the access to the App workspace and you couldn't publish your report to that App workspace. You could only access to "My Workspace" and publish your report to "My Workspace". 

And if you want to access to the report which is embedded for organization, you should have access to the workspace and the report. Then you need to have PPU / PRO license or you are free but your workspace should in A P or EM capacity.

For reference:

Tutorial: Embed Power BI content using a sample embed for your organization application

You can manage permission to a report in Power BI Service.

Best Regards,
Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @RobMar74 ,

{
        }

When your pro license is downgraded to a free license, you will lose the access to the App workspace and you couldn't publish your report to that App workspace. You could only access to "My Workspace" and publish your report to "My Workspace". 

And if you want to access to the report which is embedded for organization, you should have access to the workspace and the report. Then you need to have PPU / PRO license or you are free but your workspace should in A P or EM capacity.

For reference:

Tutorial: Embed Power BI content using a sample embed for your organization application

You can manage permission to a report in Power BI Service.

Best Regards,
Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

RobMar74
Frequent Visitor

I've found an article that seems to point to my issue.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/developer/embedded/embed-tokens?tabs=embed-for-your-organi...

Not sure how it has been set up, but it does state that if we use a master user, that user needs to have a Power BI Pro or Premium license. 

I’m currently unsure how to find which is the master user (if indeed it is a master user we use)

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.