Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Web application with Power BI Embedded and on-premise data sources

Hi,

I am exploring the development of a web application using Power BI embedded, but I am struggling to find a concrete answer on a specific use case. 

The web application is used by a variety of different customers (i.e. different companies), with each company having a number of users. 

The primary data source for the web application are on-premise SQL Server databases of each of the companies. I want the data in the web app to be refreshed on demand from this on-premise data source, without the need for the end user to manually upload any data or pbix files.

I have seen several discussions online with a situation of a single tenant / enterprise creating an in-house Power BI embedded app and having this tap into an on-premise data source. But I haven't found any information on scaling this to multiple tenants.  

So to my specific questions: 

1. Am I able to use Power BI Embedded and setup an enterprise gateway for each of the customers (i.e. companies) to tap into the databases?

2. If the answer to 1 is yes, does the data in Power BI Embedded need to be setup using Direct Query? Or can I still use a direct import? I do not want the end users to have to upload pbix files to refresh the data. 

3. If the answer to 1 is no, what would be advisable work around / approach to this situation? The only idea which springs to mind at present is to create a transactional datbase backup between the individual on-premise databases and a separate Azure database for each customer.  

Any guidance on the matter would be greatly appreciated, as I have not been able to find a definitive answer. 

Many thanks 

Todd

0 REPLIES 0

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.