Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cognovo
Frequent Visitor

Visual usage patterns

For the check of cost effectiveness we would like to track visual usage patterns in reports throughout our organisation.

Is there any way to gather information about all reports throughout the organsation and list the used visuals and visual types in it ?

In case not, I already have posted a new idea here, pls vote for it if you think this one could be useful:

Microsoft Idea (powerbi.com)

We use Power BI Premium.

Best regards

Michael

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Ibendlin,

yes we already thought about that possbility but it's too crude. We have thousands of reports here and we cannot make ourselves member of every workspace (technically not a problem but for security reasons not allowed).

So please vote for my idea about extending the Power BI Rest Api with a Get Visual endpoint:

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
cognovo
Frequent Visitor

Hi Ibendlin,

we have organizational custom visuals we pay for and we want to know if they are worth the money. If nonbody uses them we waste money 🙂 So statistics about usage of visuals would greatly help us.

I mentioned in another post that there is a very crude way of doing that:

- make yourself member of all premium workspaces

- download all pbix files from all datasets that allow it

- open the pbix with 7Zip, and look in the Reports/Custom Visuals subfolder.

Very crude, very slow, and will not work for personal workspaces or any datasets that have incremental refresh or other limitations.

I have a powershell script for that if you are interested.

Hi Ibendlin,

yes we already thought about that possbility but it's too crude. We have thousands of reports here and we cannot make ourselves member of every workspace (technically not a problem but for security reasons not allowed).

So please vote for my idea about extending the Power BI Rest Api with a Get Visual endpoint:

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

"For the check of cost effectiveness we would like to track visual usage patterns"

Please explain how these two are related. In a Premium environment you should anyhow have disabled the use of paid custom visuals, and restricted the use of free custom visuals to the certified ones.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors