Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Visio Visual not working in Power BI Desktop

I have followed the steps in this tutorial for importing a Visio file into the Power BI Desktop Application:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/office/add-visio-visuals-to-power-bi-reports-4f09be62-f436-45c2-...

I uploaded my Visio File to my Shared Documents in my SharePoint online teams site, and copied/pasted the url into the Visio Visual diagram and it's completely blank. 

I even tried to used the sample Visio Power BI Visual that was provided by this tutorial and it's not displaying (https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJrIjoiMDMwOGM3OTYtMjEzNy00MWEwLTlkOGItNWI2MTdmZGE4Y2Y1IiwidCI6IjM5Y...)

Whenever I copy and paste the url into the text box and click Connect - nothing happens. The diagram is blank.

Can anyone please provide assistance?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have finally managed to get everything workgin now. I saved the Power BI file  (.pbix) on my desktop and uploaded it to Power BI Online. I added the embeded URL to the Visio Visual in Power BI Online and the visio diagram is now working. 

This only works in the Chrome browser, but not Microsoft Edge.

Thanks for the help!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-lionel-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Step1. Update Power BI Desktop to the latest version.
Step2. Use your dataset and .vsdx file to try again, if visual is still blank, please use the sample data set and .vsdx file to try again.
Step3. If the sample data file still can not be displayed, it may be a problem with your operation or other problems. If the sample file can be displayed normally, then your dataset and .vsdx file may not meet the visual's requirements.

--Sample files

v-lionel-msft_1-1612343499094.png

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I recently updated my Power BI Desktop to the lastest version below:

PowerBI_LatestUpdate.JPG

I used the sample data set and vsdx. file with the Embed URL and I'm still receiving a blank screen in my diagram. 

I am also trying different options in my Data Source settings to tfigure out if I'm doing something wrong that may be causing this issue. I've tried different privacy levels too.

IsaiahBJ_0-1612555828786.png

v-lionel-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

I didn't reproduce your problem.

v-lionel-msft_0-1612166312765.png

My Power BI Desktop version: 2.88.1144.0 64-bit (December 2020)

1. Is the field added to the "ID" label uniquely identifiable?

2. Upload the .vsdx file to OneDrive for business (SharePoint online) and open the file in your browser and get the embed URL. Did you do this?

v-lionel-msft_1-1612166732633.png

v-lionel-msft_2-1612166768338.png

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the response, Lionel. 

I have a unique ID associate with each object in my visio file, which I uploaded to One Drive.

I also have a unique ID on my data set in Power BI. Next, I clicked on the "Visio Visual", and copied/pasted the Embed URL from my visio in One Drive into the text box on the Visio Visual Diagram and clicked "Connect" and it is still displaying a blank diagram.

PowerBI_BlankVisio.JPG

My current version of Desktop Power BI is 2.88.621.0 64-bit (December 2020)

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have finally managed to get everything workgin now. I saved the Power BI file  (.pbix) on my desktop and uploaded it to Power BI Online. I added the embeded URL to the Visio Visual in Power BI Online and the visio diagram is now working. 

This only works in the Chrome browser, but not Microsoft Edge.

Thanks for the help!

Hi @Anonymous - did you ever manage to get this working in PBI Desktop?
I came across this thread as I have exactly the same issue; my Visio visual does not appear in desktop (nor does the demo visio file). In both cases the Visio visual does appear in PBI Online when I enter the embed URL but that doesn't help as I still need to build and configure the report in desktop. 
Any help appreciated! 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.