Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

GunterM
Regular Visitor

Validation of property objects

Hi,

I've couple of general questions on objects and properties for which I could not find any real explanation/documentation. 

• In some examples, objects and properties are initialized in the enumerateObjectInstances method of the Visual. It uses a switch statement to push all the objects and their properties into the VisualObjectInstance[] array. In other examples the enumerateObjectInstances is just left to the default implementation. What is the advantage/disadvantage of these two distinct ways of working ?

• Where and how do you write the code to validate property values? Suppose you have a property for controlling the font size of a label and you want it to be between 10 and 20? I've declared the object and property inside my capabilities file as follows:
    "fontSize" : {
                        "displayName": "Font Size",
                        "type": {
                            "formatting": {
                                "fontSize": true
                            }
                        }
                    }
    Next I wrote the corresponding class in settings.ts 
    module powerbi.extensibility.visual {
        "use strict";
        import DataViewObjectsParser = powerbi.extensibility.utils.dataview.DataViewObjectsParser;

export class TableVisualSettings extends DataViewObjectsParser {
          public tableFormatting: tableFormatting = new tableFormatting();
          }

export class tableFormatting {
          public show: boolean = true;
          public border: boolean = true;
          public backgroundColor: string = "#FFFFFF";
          public fontSize: number = 14;
         }
    }
    I have no trouble accessing the object and it's properties in code but where should the validation code go? And is there a way to display an error message to the user ?

Thanks for any help you can provide !
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@GunterM,

As mentioned here, the DataViewObjectsParser provides the simplest way in order to parse properties of the formatting panel. You may do validation in update method.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@GunterM,

As mentioned here, the DataViewObjectsParser provides the simplest way in order to parse properties of the formatting panel. You may do validation in update method.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors