Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

azulcore
Frequent Visitor

Using the Power BI API, what are the requirements?

This is a genreal question just to make sure I have covered all the basis.

I have purchased Power BI Pro licenses

I have registered an app via https://dev.powerbi.com/apps

I have modified all the permissions and settings via https://portal.azure.com

I have created a Power BI web application using the https://github.com/Microsoft/PowerBI-Developer-Samples code

I created an App workspace in my Power BI cloud area and added the required admin users and members

I also published the reports to an App

I have altered the code github code to fit my paramters. (Client IDs, group ids, report ids, tokens....)

The web application works well and as expected.

I have been running the web application for about a week now.

I am ready to release it to the production users. Have I missed anything? Do I need any other licenses? Are there any gotchas I should be concerned about?

3 REPLIES 3
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @azulcore,

What's your scenario? If it's App Owns Data, please consider #move-to-production. Other reference: developer/embedding.

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for your answer. Currently we are using our interal Sharepoint via our Office365. We bought the Pro licenses so we could use the Web Part in Sharepoint which worked well however we were not able to select filters automatically via the webpart. We are using Project Online via our Sharepoint which we have purchaed user licenses for and works well. The Power BI report gets the data from Project Online database via oData as per the Microsoft examples. We decided to use the API instead becuase it allows us to send the filters to the report via Sharepoint. All of the data is for internal use and on internal environments. Licenses have been purchased for all users.

Based on your comments fo you believe we should be on User Owns Data instead?

Hi @azulcore,

Since all users have licenses (I presume they are Pro), the "User Owns Data" could be the best choice. The simple reason why the "App Owns Data" needs Capacity is one account handles all the accesses. Which mode did you use in your current test?

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.