Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Weatherreport
Frequent Visitor

Using DAX with live data

Hi Everyone,

My business would need to display live sales data (eg. refreshing every 30 seconds). My understanding is that:

1. PowerBI pro allows 8 refreshes (so no live data)

2. PowerBI Premium per user allows 48 refreshes (so definitely better but no live data yet)

3. DIrect Queries allows live data but then we cannot use more complex time intelligence DAX expressions

So my question is:

Is there any way to show live data whilst also being able to use complex DAX expressions?Anything to do with Azure maybe?live datasets?Live connections?or what else?

Thanks,

Marco

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

To prevent you from accidentally building calculations that will perform badly in DirectQuery mode Power BI tries to prevent you from using any DAX functions that it thinks it can’t generate efficient SQL for.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

To prevent you from accidentally building calculations that will perform badly in DirectQuery mode Power BI tries to prevent you from using any DAX functions that it thinks it can’t generate efficient SQL for.

Thanks @V-lianl-msft 

I think that DirectQueries is a reasonable solution for real time data but yes (if I get your point) it is probably better to sort out more complex things at SQL level rather than at a DAX level

MawashiKid2
Helper I
Helper I

RE: Install a satnav in a new car but having to lose two tyres to do that!

LOL That's a good one...BTW I never mentioned this was THE golden solution. I only referred it as an example. Solutions don't always come served on a silver plate. It would be a bit naive to think that. That's the name of the game. If someone has a better solution then be my guest... I'll be more than glad to hear about it To be honest I'm no longer in ego sprints for kudos...😉 

MawashiKid2
Helper I
Helper I

Perhaps you may have a look at following link provided by Radacad:

Writing calculations on a real time streaming Power BI dataset using DAX measures 

Thanks for your reply @MawashiKid2

I had a look into that article but it doesn't sound that convincing to me. It is like it is showing how to install a satnav in a new car but having to lose two tyres to do that! 🙂

However, happy to hear different opinions from someone that has used the streaming datasets for complex time intelligence DAX expressions

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.