Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bmavity
Frequent Visitor

Using API to clone report and dataset into new workspace

I'm working on creating an automated process to create a new report/dataset from a template using Microsoft Flow and the Power BI API.  Using Flow limits me quite a bit, but I believe this should be plausible.

A couple options and my limitations are:

1. Import from .pbix file to destination workspace, then update report parameters (Post Import in Group)
    • I'm unaware of any way to convert the .pbix file in Flow and passing to the request body.  Is this a viable option?  The only solutions I've found use scripting languages that aren't a current option.
  2. Copy Report from Template workspace to destination workspace (Clone Report in Group)
    • I'm stuck here not having a datatset to tie this to (targetModelId parameter).  Is there a way to duplicate a dataset from another workspace (or another source) prior to cloning report?  I don't need the data, but just need the scheme, so maybe there's a way to extract that instead?

Are there any other options that could fit this Flow-API model?

2 REPLIES 2
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @bmavity,

1. I would suggest you go to https://flow.microsoft.com/en-us/support/ for professional support.

2. How about exporting the report and then importing it?

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks, Dale!  Appreciate the reply.

I have submitted a support ticket with Microsoft as well.

As for export then import, I'm consistently getting bad request errors because the export output does not appear to be in the correct format for the import.  I'll keep troubleshooting in the meantime and reply back if there's any significant update.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.