Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

floressdiego
Helper I
Helper I

User editing data

Hey,

To flexibilize user experience, I want to make the possibility for the user to change some data. I have found that PowerApps can do that, it can send data back to the data source and after refreshing the report the changes are live. 

I wonder, thought, if there is another option, without refreshing the whole report and make them wait few/several minutes. Today I'm using excel in sharepoint as data source, if I use some SQL database or/and APIs is there another way to get the user to edit data before getting into the report?

Example:

RoleGroup
CEOAdministration
Financial AnalystAdministration
ManagerAdministration

But supposed someone wants to change the CEO role, from Administration to Board of Directors (or whatever else).

RoleGroup
CEOBoard of Directors
Financial AnalystAdministration
Manager

Administration

The idea is, I do not know how every company defines their roles or groups (in this case) and I don't wanna change every single company everytime. And today, with PowerApps I can change one by one, it would be really good if the user could select a bunch of roles and assign their groups.

Any insights or ideas are welcome. Even if it's outside Power BI, a webpage before the embedded report, API, whatever. What I do not want is for the user to see the data source (would be easier but too fragile), but some fields.

Thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES 2
v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @floressdiego ,

As far as I know, Power BI doesn't support us to change the data in data source from Power BI. Power BI Desktop should be an application for you to create reports. 

If you use import connection mode to get data from data source, you can do some modify on data in Power Query Editor. If you use live connection or direct query connection mode, I think you need to modify your data in data source.

Best Regards,
Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

floressdiego
Helper I
Helper I

Actually, thinking about it, PowerApps doesn't do. As soon as the automatic refresh hits, it will clear the changes done before.... 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.