Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Strizzolo
Advocate I
Advocate I

Use the Gateway to create a SharePoint App

Hi,
one of our customers asks us if it is possible to use the on-premises data gateway as a "data source" to create a SharePoint App with some KPIs inside.

Following the official documentation, the only method I know is using Azure Logic Apps / Power Automate as an intermediate tool.

Is it correct?

Thank you all.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Strizzolo ,

Yes, you are right. As I describe in my previous post, the gateway only acts as a bridge which provides quick and secure data transfer between on-premises data sources and Cloud services. It can't be used as a extract data tool. I totally agree with you...

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Strizzolo ,

The On-premises data gateway acts as a bridge which provides quick and secure data transfer between on-premises data sources and Cloud services(like Power BI, Azure Analysis Services, Azure Logic Apps,  PowerApps and Power Automate). Gateway is mainly used for data refresh. Do you want to create an app which its data source is from sharepoint files in Power BI or something else? If you want to create an app in Power BI, you can refer the following documentation to create the reports in Power BI Desktop first.

Create a report on a SharePoint List in Power BI Desktop

Then publish these reports to Power BI Service, and publish app with the proper contents.

Publish an app in Power BI

yingyinr_1-1625034313041.png

Best Regards

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yiruan-msft,

the customer wants to develop a SharePoint application using Visual Studio with some tabs inside with some KPIs. He does not want to use Power BI.

He wants to use the Gateway to extract the data from the local source.

In my opinion it is impossible.

The approach I would follow is to create the KPIs in Power BI and then embed the report/dashboard in SharePoint.

Hi @Strizzolo ,

Yes, you are right. As I describe in my previous post, the gateway only acts as a bridge which provides quick and secure data transfer between on-premises data sources and Cloud services. It can't be used as a extract data tool. I totally agree with you...

Best Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors