Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Update datasource API - works fine, but not always

Hi all, I have a problem with 'Datasets - Update Datasource In Group' API. I'm using Azure DevOps pipeline to trigger PowerShell scripts to automaticaly update datasources (DirectQuery) during release. In most cases (let's say 90%) API call for datasource update works fine, so that I know that the request is correct. Unfortunately, sometimes there is no error in API call and everything seems to be ok, but datasource is not updated in PowerBi service. Moreover, in such case I cannot re-call the request due to the following error:

"Dataset doesn't contain a datasource that matches selector #1"

I'm pretty sure that dataset contains a datasource that matches selector #1, it was working 20 seconds earlier. 

In this case I need to re-run my pipeline again (it's mean once again upload a report and update datasource) and everything works like a charm. I need to increase pipeline stability. Do you have any ideas what's going on and what can be a problem?

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's not the reason. I'm taking over datasets each time I execute script.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

If I remember correctly you need to re-own a data source after you changed it via API.

Reference: Session 02: Writing PowerShell Scripts for Power BI · Power BI Dev Camp (powerappsportals.com)

(the topic comes up there)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.