Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SagarSalvi
Helper I
Helper I

Update data source (OData connection string) for PBIX report on PBI report server

We have a PBIX template which is pulling data from OData source. Now this report needs to get deployed to each customer's folder separately on Power BI farm. Each copy needs to point to respective customer's OData service.

We have automation where we use SSRS APIs to upload the report to farm and then update data source on report. (NOTE: This works fine for PBIXs which are not OData sourced.)

However we notice that post upload, data source OData connection string property is disabled by MSFT. This tells us that MSFT do not allow this but still we gave a try to update the connection string and it returned 400 bad request response as expected.

SagarSalvi_1-1665084423914.png

Just FYI we are using following API to update data source on PBIX:
https://app.swaggerhub.com/apis-docs/microsoft-rs/pbirs/2.0#/PowerBIReports/UpdatePowerBIReportDataS...

Also we tried looking at DataModelDataSource table on RS DB, but again the ConnectionString value is encrypted here for security concern:

SagarSalvi_2-1665084631061.png

Next we also tried to update this PBIX file before uploading it to farm. Coverting PBIX to ZIP, extracting files and then updating DataMashup file (replacing OData connection). And then again ZIP the folder contents and rename extension to PBIX but that did not work. PBIX report gets corrupted.
Also observed that even if you open and close any file (notepad++) without any change, still the report gets corrupted. Found following link which worked for them but did not for me:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Modifying-the-Layout-file-that-is-embedded-in-a-pbix-file/m...

Now we are left with only one option where we will have to ask each customer to manully do this. That includes download this report, open report in PBI Desktop, update connection string and then reupload it to farm.

Let me know if anyone have any workaround for this issue.

2 REPLIES 2
v-chenwuz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @SagarSalvi ,

Maybe the following post will helpful.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Power-Query/Data-Source-Changing/td-p/430529 

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ chenwu zhu

Hey @v-chenwuz-msft 

Thanks for looking at my post. Issue I mentioned is very specific to PBIX with data source type OData.
For other types of data source we are not seeing this issue at all. MSFT has only disabled connection string input for OData type sources (first screenshot in my post above). 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.