Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rwinn
Regular Visitor

Update SharePoint Embedded Power BI Dashboard Based on SharePoint User

Hi All,

Currently, I have a Power BI dashboard embedded into a Sharepoint site. I would like to have the dashboard change the data presented based on who is currently viewing the Power BI dashboard on the SharePoint site. An example of this would be if John went to the SharePoint site with the Power BI dashboard embedded into it, the Power BI dashboard would showcase data (coming from a table that for example provides name, email, favorite color and other fields) relating to John specifically. I realize that this is a bit of a combination problem between Power BI and SharePoint, but I figured that it fits in a Power BI dicussion board based on the fact that my problem is basically I want Power BI to take user data from SharePoint and present data based on that user data. 

1 REPLY 1
v-micsh-msft
Employee
Employee

Please first take a look at the Granting Access to reports in the following article:

Embed with report web part in SharePoint Online

Basically, 

"

Embedding a report in SharePoint Online does not automatically give users permission to view the report. The permissions to view the report are set within the Power BI service.

Important

Make sure to review who can see the report within the Power BI service and grant access to those not listed.

There are two ways to provide access to the report within the Power BI service. If you are using an Office 365 Group to build your SharePoint Online team site, you list the user as a member of the app workspace within the Power BI service. This will make sure that users can view the contents of that group. For more information, see Create and distribute an app in Power BI.

Alternatively, you can grant users access to your report by doing the following.

1. Add a tile from the report to a dashboard.

2. Share the dashboard with the users that need access to the report. For more information, see Share a dashboard with colleagues and others

"

Regards,

Michael

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.