Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Understanding why export paginated report to file is failing

I have a set of paginated reports that I am exporting in our API layer via the following documentation

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/developer/embedded/export-paginated-report

I have all of them working via this method, but on the intial setup it is hard to understand sometimes when polling for the ExportStatus, if it fails, why in fact it failed. I am using the following method to poll for the status

var httpMessage = await Client.Reports.GetExportToFileStatusInGroupWithHttpMessagesAsync(groupId, reportId, exportId);

I see the body of this i the exportStatus but all that tells me is if it succedded or failed. Is there a way to tell why is failed anywhere in the API or PowerBI istelf?

4 REPLIES 4
stefanmmarek

I know that my report fails when a mandatory parameter is failing or any sytax-fail is in there...

but i would really wish to get a reason why the export failed, but the api just returns a state and no message or so.

In the Microsoft.PowerBI.Api Nuget you can also only add a String as parameter value and no list and so i never know how to pass a list.

Is there any possibility to get a reason why a export has failed ?

And what is the correct syntax of a list in the ParameterValue.Value? 

v-lionel-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Is the returned ExportStatus always failed?

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

No, I assume it's failing because of any issue with missing parameters oder a connection issue to the datasource - but i get no clue why it could be failing in the response - just failed - no message and no statuscode - nothing 😥

Since i've implemented a kind of Export/Print Button feature in our app which is fetching the PDF Export of the Paginated Report, the parameters and even groupId and exportId are parameters for the component - if a caller has forgot any mandatory parameter or any invalid value - well no help from api ... or is there an hidden feature ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

No, I am wondering how to to tell why it failed when it does fail.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors