Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

JuanjoMSF
Frequent Visitor

Understand PBI Ip range from JSON file

Hi guys,

I’m trying to connect PBI dataset to a redshift database. I have no issues connection in PBI Desktop but when I publish the dataset it can’t be refreshed automatically due to connection issues.

We would like to allow IPs in firewall but we don’t IPs we need to allow. Are the ones that exist in this group in Azure IP Ranges json file? Do we need to allow another Ips or is enough with them?

"name": "PowerBI",

"id": "PowerBI",

"properties": {

"changeNumber": 4,

"region": "",

"regionId": 0,

"platform": "Azure",

"systemService": "PowerBI",

And another question, to do the REST call in Servide Tag, do we need to specify something in location? Seems that for PowerBI ip ranges we don’t have a region specified.

GET https://management.azure.com/subscriptions/{subscriptionId}/providers/Microsoft.Network/locations/{l...

In case it doesn’t run, and about the gateway connection, does exist a connection type to connect directly with a Redshift database? We tried to use an ODBC connection but due to the number of rows in tables it fails and we would like to test with a direct connection to Redshift.

Thanks,

Juanjo

2 REPLIES 2
JuanjoMSF
Frequent Visitor

Hi @V-lianl-msft ,

Thanks for your answer. I know that Microsoft provides every week a list of IP ranges, but it provides a range for all Azure tools, I would like to know what of them are the ones related with PowerBI to just allow them to access to Redshift Database.

I though about the ODBC solution and reduce the tables before to load them but unfortunatelly the users needs the entire tables to build their reports and dashboards

Thanks,

Juanjo

V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @JuanjoMSF ,

As far as I am concerned,there is a range of IP addresses which are required to be whitelisted in Redshift from here.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=41653 

IP addresses need to be whitelisted which keeps on changing every week. Also, exposing the DB to open internet is not secure. 

I think the ODBC you mentioned is a relatively better solution. You can try to process the data before connecting to the data source.

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.