Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

sherylmeg
Frequent Visitor

Unable to create Power BI Embedded Service

My setup: I am a dev who has Owner rights on my company's Azure account. I have a Power BI Pro trial license and would like to set up an app owns data site using Power BI Embedded.

When I try to create the Power BI Embedded service in Azure I'm getting an error:

You are currently signed into the 'XXXXXX (default directory)' directory which is not recognized by Power BI. To be able to create Power BI Embedded resource, you can sign up for Power BI. After that, you will need to close this blade to continue. Or, you can switch to a directory that is recognized by Power BI.

Below the error message are two links:

Sign-up to Power BI for free - clicking this link takes me to my signed-in Power BI account

Switch directories - none of the other directories have an Azure subscription

Does the actual owner of the subscription need a Power BI Pro license? I am in the directory and I have a Pro license, so why am I not able to create the service?

8 REPLIES 8
TedPattison
Employee
Employee

If you create a new Azure AD tenant, the Power BI service instance within that tenant does not get initialized automatically. I think you need at least one user to login to that tenant and navigate to the Power BI service at https://app.powerbi.com so that Power BI can intialize it within that Azure AD tenant.

Once the first user logs in, that initializes the Power BI service instance within that tenant and after that you should be able to create instances of Power BI embedded service.
sherylmeg
Frequent Visitor

Me again. 🙂

I got some info from my support request. While running a Fiddler trace, I navigated to the Azure screen to create an Embedded service and got the usual error message:

You are currently signed into the 'lanxxxxxxxxgmail (default directory)' directory which is not recognized by Power BI. To be able to create Power BI Embedded resource, you can sign up for Power BI. After that, you will need to close this blade to continue. Or, you can switch to a directory that is recognized by Power BI.

The Fiddler trace revealed:
GET https://api.powerbi.com/powerbi/globalservice/v201606/clusterDetails/
401 Unauthorized ()

And the MS Tech sent a follow up email stating:

As per the fiddler trace, we see 401 unauthorized errors.
    I see that you are using two different directories/tenants. •@somedomain.com - O365 Subscription
    @lanxxxxxxxgmail.onmicrosoft.com - Azure Subscription
    I did reach out to the Azure team and found that we cannot merge two directories/tenants.
    The possible solution could be to cancel the Azure Subscription for @lanxxxxxxxxgmail.onmicrosoft.com tenant and add it to the @somedomain.com tenant.

So, my next step will be to have the boss set up another Azure subscription under the organizational tenant. We'll see...

boylec
Advocate I
Advocate I

I am experiencing the same issue(s) to a T.

More information (I hope it will help somebody): I have an Office365 subscription (sherylmeg@somedomain.com) that seems to be connected to a workspace in Azure that doesn't have an Azure subscription. Lemme explain 🙂 My small company has an Azure subscription, my boss pays for and is the owner of the subscription. In that Azure account we have a few "directories", one of them is his default directory and it's something like lanxxxxxgmail.onmicrosoft.com. I am a member of that directory and an "owner" of the Azure subscription. We also have an organizational workspace or directory called somedomain.com (the same as my main work email account). So I wonder if somehow when I create a PBI embedded service it's trying to create it against our organizational account, (directory, workspace, whatever) and not the Azure directory that has the Azure services set up under it.

As an added twist, I sat down with the boss and we tried to create the PBI embedded service with him logged in to his default directory. He got an error message stating he needed to create the service on his Organizational account. Soooo, we tried to transfer the Azure subscription to the organizational workspace but that process failed.  The error message he got implied that he needed a different type of Azure subscription in order to transfer it. The subscription is called "Pay-As-You-Go". We were afraid to make drastic changes for fear of interrupting services that we use internally.

That's where I am now. I've had a support ticket opened with Microsoft since late June. I've spoken with a support person but am waiting for further help.

phrqldev
Regular Visitor

I am having exactly the same issue. I have global admin role in the AD tenant and I also have a power BI pro license. But I don't see the power bi API option listed in the app registration part. It seems like the actual "owner" of the directory needs to sign for power BI first? But this is not documented. Can someone answer this? I appreciate the help. 

v-micsh-msft
Employee
Employee

Have you tried the Onboarding experience tool ?

Follow the Prerequisites mentioned in the article below:

Onboarding experience tool for embedding

In addition, please follow the steps mentioned in the article below to work with Power BI Embedded:

Embed your Power BI dashboards, reports and tiles

Regards,

Michael

I got the same issue.

Any one solve the problem? 

Thanks for your response!

I have tried the onboarding tool, choosing the "embed for your customers" option.

When I go through all the steps, I do create a PowerBI workspace that gets listed in my workspaces in app.powerbi.com. However the Register your application piece doesn't add a registered app to my company's Azure account, and the last step to Grant permissions fails outright (it gives me a message that I should try again in a few seconds.)

If I try to register an app in Azure directly - I go to our default namespace and choose App registrations. I give the new app registration a name, choose Native app and put in a redirect URI. Then I go into Settings on the new app and click Required Permissions, then Add, then Select an API. The APIs listed don't included anything PowerBI-ish. My choices:

Microsoft Graph
Windows Azure Service Management API
Office 365 Management APIs

So, I seem to be having trouble on multiple fronts.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.