Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Dhruvin
Helper III
Helper III

Unable to Connect with Power BI Service using PowerShell

I have installed PowerShell for Power BI using following Code. 

Install-Module -Name MicrosoftPowerBIMgmt

It is installed successfully.

2018-08-08_9-55-31.png

Now, I used following code-snippet to connect with Power BI Service.

Login-PowerBI

When I executed the code it shows me an error like:

Login-PowerBI : The 'Login-PowerBI' command was found in the module 'MicrosoftPowerBIMgmt.Profile', but the module 
could not be loaded. For more information, run 'Import-Module MicrosoftPowerBIMgmt.Profile'.
At line:1 char:1
+ Login-PowerBI
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (Login-PowerBI:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CouldNotAutoloadMatchingModule

Please refer the screenshot.

Screenshot_4.png

I have also tried to import  module MicrosoftPowerBIMgmt.Profile using following code:

Import-Module MicrosoftPowerBIMgmt.Profile

It shows me following error:

Import-Module : Could not load file or assembly 'netstandard, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, 
PublicKeyToken=cc7b13ffcd2ddd51' or one of its dependencies. Reference assemblies should not be loaded for 
execution.  They can only be loaded in the Reflection-only loader context. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131058)
At line:1 char:1
+ Import-Module MicrosoftPowerBIMgmt.Profile
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Import-Module], BadImageFormatException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.BadImageFormatException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.ImportModuleCommand

Below is a screenshot for the same.

Untitled.png

Please suggest an appropriate solution for it

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello

I was unable to connect with the Power BI Service with .Net Framework 4.7.02053 installed on my PC.  However, when .Net Framework 4.7.2 was installed from here, I found that I was then able to connect to the Power BI Service using Powershell and run the other PowerShell Management Cmdlets which call the Rest API. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I installed 4.7.2 from the link provided in this post and still it is giving me the same error of

"The term 'Login-PowerBI' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script
file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the
path is correct and try again."

After checking a bit futher I got .NET version 4.7.03062 (I am working in Windows 7).

Am I missing something as I have downloaded and installed .NET framework 4.7.2 from this link

Can this be a path issue. Please help me with this.

v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi All,

It seems you need to change the ExecutionPolicy of PowerShell. Please refer to 

unable-to-use-appv-5-powershell-cmdlets 

azure-powershell-will-not-connect 

module/microsoft.powershell.security/set-executionpolicy?view=powershell-6

Please also check out if the environment is supported. 

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Still not working

I had the same error.

I cheked my PC environments based on this - Supported Environments and PowerShell Versions:

Windows PowerShell v3.0 and up with .NET 4.6.1 or above are required.

Then, I updated PowerShell and .NET to latest versions and restart my PC.

And in my case, issue has been resolved.

Hello

I was unable to connect with the Power BI Service with .Net Framework 4.7.02053 installed on my PC.  However, when .Net Framework 4.7.2 was installed from here, I found that I was then able to connect to the Power BI Service using Powershell and run the other PowerShell Management Cmdlets which call the Rest API. 

Thanks @JaneLHunt

I have upgraded ASP.Net framework to 4.7.2 and it is working fine now.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just aligning this Community thread with the associated known GitHub issue.

Installing .NET Framework 4.7.2 solves this one.

https://github.com/Microsoft/powerbi-powershell/issues/41?_pjax=%23js-repo-pjax-container#issuecomme...

lordtopcat
Helper I
Helper I

I am getting exactly the same errors. I would very much appreciate some help too.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors