Reply
Regular Visitor
Posts: 27
Registered: ‎11-02-2015
Accepted Solution

Tweaking an existing Custom Visual: the change is successful, but doesn't save into desktop file

Hi there!

 

 

I found a great R visual and needed to tweak it a little. 

I downloaded it from Github, altered an R script.

 

I got to the point that suits me for now (I hope to keep improving) and I can see needed results on the web when I run pbiviz start command.

Capture1.PNG

 

But when I try to package the visual, the packaged custom visual for PBI Desktop doesn't have any of those changes...

Capture2.PNG

 

What am I doing wrong? Do I simply run pbiviz package command, or did I miss an important step?


Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Regular Visitor
Posts: 27
Registered: ‎11-02-2015

Re: Tweaking an existing Custom Visual: the change is successful, but doesn't save into desktop file

I posted this as a question in another topic, and looks like the solution below should work:

 

You didn't call "pbiviz new" command, instead you are updating the existing one. So you'll need to do two things:

1) change "guid" field inside "pbiviz.json" to be different string

2) call "pbiviz package" command from command line ( inside the folder of visual)

 

See more here

https://github.com/Microsoft/PowerBI-visuals/tree/master/RVisualTutorial

View solution in original post


All Replies
Community Support Team
Posts: 3,055
Registered: ‎07-09-2016

Re: Tweaking an existing Custom Visual: the change is successful, but doesn't save into desktop file

@taraskaduk,

 

The source code may not up to date. It works when I make some changes to a new R Powered Custom Visual.

Regards,
Sam
Highlighted
Regular Visitor
Posts: 27
Registered: ‎11-02-2015

Re: Tweaking an existing Custom Visual: the change is successful, but doesn't save into desktop file

I posted this as a question in another topic, and looks like the solution below should work:

 

You didn't call "pbiviz new" command, instead you are updating the existing one. So you'll need to do two things:

1) change "guid" field inside "pbiviz.json" to be different string

2) call "pbiviz package" command from command line ( inside the folder of visual)

 

See more here

https://github.com/Microsoft/PowerBI-visuals/tree/master/RVisualTutorial