Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

Japanisu
Frequent Visitor

Trying to refresh Power BI dataset via API using Flow

Hi,

I have created a custom connector in Flow following this tutorial 

https://medium.com/@Konstantinos_Ioannou/refresh-powerbi-dataset-with-microsoft-flow-73836c727c33.

It is working fine but after a couple of times using it to refresh, I get an error "Invalid dataset refresh request. Number of refresh requests in last 24 hours exceeded limit" even when I haven't met the 8x limit. If I try to refresh manually on the Power BI service, I am still able to and my dataset gets refreshed. Also, after getting the error, after a couple of failed refresh, my dataset gets refreshed automatically again. I was just wondering why the error and why I always get the "Invalid dataset refresh request...". Anyone else experienced the same? Thank you

Thank you

6 REPLIES 6
Japanisu
Frequent Visitor

@ricardomadaleno 

No, I did nfot find a solution to this. It seems like a limitation of flow.

Here's the response I got when I logged a ticket for it.

Hi,

I believe that the 7 times refresh will be successful for your dataset too, because when I reproduced the issue on my flow I found that the refresh is successful if its 7 or less than 7 times a day.

If I take 8 , I get a failed flow run.

It seems like the flow currently is able to only take up the limit up to max of 7 times as per its behavior and the Escalation team would look into this soon to enhance the functionality.

I would like to suggest you to please vote this idea in the ideas forum as it’s the Design behavior of the Powerapps.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused due to the product limitation or product not working as per your expectation. I totally agree with you and all of your concerns and they are completely valid.

Our Product team pushes improvements and features on weekly basis. These improvements are planned well in advance. But there are some of the improvements which will have lot of dependencies due to which it takes long time and sometimes it becomes extremely hard for us to define an ETA even though we have a road map of improving the feature. We hope you understand the complexity here. Our focus is always on improving customer experience and giving what customer is looking for sooner or later.

We would encourage you to see if this idea already exists. If not please post this awesome idea @ MS Flow Ideas and vote for it.

ricardomadaleno
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

Have you found a solution for this? I'm having the same issue even though I'm using a recurence to refresh only 8 times per day...

Any help is much appreciated!! Tks

jesus21282
Frequent Visitor

I received the same error calling the API using Flow.

I found a news article from Power BI on 2017 https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/announcing-data-refresh-apis-in-the-power-bi-service/ where they state:

"Note: if the dataset is not in a workspace assigned to Premium capacity, then you will be limited to eight refreshes per day. Datasets in workspaces assigned to Premium will support up to 48 refreshes a day."

but I still do not know if this limit is for the API only PLUS the 8 Scheduled refreshes we got from the service in non-premium-capacity, OR the sum of both API calls and sched-refreshes must not go above 8 altogether.

Hopefully the will lift the limitation or increase the refresh limits soon.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Any solution? I am facing the same issue!! Even after 48 hours, when I try to refresh the API, i am getting error as,"Invalid dataset refresh request. Number of refresh requests in last 24 hours exceeded limit".

Any help, much appreciated!! Please let me know.

Thanks for your reply @jesus21282.

I just find it weird I'm getting the error even when only doing the refresh (8x) by calling API via Flow, no refresh via the service or manual refresh done.

I logged a ticket with Power BI but haven't gotten any explanation for the error yet.  

@Japanisu

Hi, yes, it turns that right now I am getting the same exact issue.

I decided to turn the Flow off this morning, and tomorrow afternoon I will turn it back on to see if it succeeds again because right now it's failing every single time due to the refresh limit.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.