Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Japanisu Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Trying to refresh Power BI dataset via API using Flow

Hi,

I have created a custom connector in Flow following this tutorial 

https://medium.com/@Konstantinos_Ioannou/refresh-powerbi-dataset-with-microsoft-flow-73836c727c33.

It is working fine but after a couple of times using it to refresh, I get an error "Invalid dataset refresh request. Number of refresh requests in last 24 hours exceeded limit" even when I haven't met the 8x limit. If I try to refresh manually on the Power BI service, I am still able to and my dataset gets refreshed. Also, after getting the error, after a couple of failed refresh, my dataset gets refreshed automatically again. I was just wondering why the error and why I always get the "Invalid dataset refresh request...". Anyone else experienced the same? Thank you

Thank you

3 REPLIES 3
jesus21282 Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Trying to refresh Power BI dataset via API using Flow

I received the same error calling the API using Flow.

I found a news article from Power BI on 2017 https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/announcing-data-refresh-apis-in-the-power-bi-service/ where they state:

"Note: if the dataset is not in a workspace assigned to Premium capacity, then you will be limited to eight refreshes per day. Datasets in workspaces assigned to Premium will support up to 48 refreshes a day."

but I still do not know if this limit is for the API only PLUS the 8 Scheduled refreshes we got from the service in non-premium-capacity, OR the sum of both API calls and sched-refreshes must not go above 8 altogether.

Hopefully the will lift the limitation or increase the refresh limits soon.

Japanisu Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for your reply @jesus21282.

I just find it weird I'm getting the error even when only doing the refresh (8x) by calling API via Flow, no refresh via the service or manual refresh done.

I logged a ticket with Power BI but haven't gotten any explanation for the error yet.  

jesus21282 Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

@Japanisu

Hi, yes, it turns that right now I am getting the same exact issue.

I decided to turn the Flow off this morning, and tomorrow afternoon I will turn it back on to see if it succeeds again because right now it's failing every single time due to the refresh limit.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Can You Solve These Challenge

Challenge: Can You Solve These?

Find out how to participate in the first Power BI 'Can You Solve These?' challenge.

Community News & Announcements

Community News & Announcements

Get your latest community news and announcements.

Virtual Launch Event

Microsoft Business Applications October Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

Community Kudopalooza

Win Power BI Swag with Community Kudopalooza!

Each week, complete activities and be qualified in the drawing for cool Power BI Swag.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 56 members 1,193 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: