Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

thomastatum
Frequent Visitor

Timeline Slicer is missing data

We have issue with the Timeline Slicer only accepting a single Date field "Time".  Because all of the time base data we work with (events, calendar data, appointments, etc) contain a start/end or start and duration. 

This makes the timeline slicer suffer because it can miss data when it is filtering.  For instance, we chose start date for the Time field, the Timeline slicer will correctly include events where the start date falls within the slicer range, but leave out events where the start happens before the slicer range and the end falls after the slicer start.  This can be mis leading to the user, because they expect an overlapping event like this to be included.  So user confidence is lost on the Timeline Slicer.

Is there a hidden feature that will allow the Timeline Slicer filter based on a start and end?  This would make the visual a very powerful report filter.

Suggestion 1:

The developers can attain this functionality and be backwards compatible by adding an optional end time field and when a data field is included, add the logic to detect where events with start/end overlap the timeslicer start end.  This answer to this post shows how simple overlapping period detection is. 

Suggestion 2:

Is the Timeline Visual open source?  We would gladly try and make this change if so.  

Workaround attempted:

We tried to use two slicers on our reports (one to take the start and one to take the end) - but these when they are not automatically synched is too cumbersome on the user.  Also the visual is too large and having 2 on the report takes too much report real estate.  So the work around was abandoned

Is there something I am missing to get the slicer to detect date range overlaps?

Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9
v-viig
Community Champion
Community Champion

Could you please prepare a sample report with fake data to deep dive into requirements?

Source code of Timeline Slicer is open sourced on GitHub.

Are you able to use page level filters instead of Timeline slicer as a workaround?

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

Microsoft Power BI Custom Visuals

pbicvsupport@microsoft.com

Hi Ignat,

I developed a sample report with the problem I would like to be solved using Dec 2017 release of Power BI Desktop.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Alt3fmh2vBRllKM0ShCf7ZCrqJ06GQ

If the slicer worked with date range overlap detection, this would be a useful feature.  In the meantime, I will look at the GitHub code to determine if I can add this change.

I was not successful getting a Page Level filter to work like you suggested.  If you could explain in more detail how to do this, I will try your suggestion.

Thanks.

Thanks.

Just to make sure. Are you facing the issue with native Slicer visual or Timeline Slicer?

I have some doubts since the sample report contains native slicer visual.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

Correct - this report was made with the native slicer.  Ill whip up a new one with the Jan Release using the Timeline Slicer and repost.  Sorry about that.

Thank you so much.

I'm looking forward to having the sample report with Timeline Slicer.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

OK,

Here is the new report:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Alt3fmh2vBRllKM70Yw4Z1wSfycWbQ

Same thing as before: items on the left are linked.  The full data set at the top right.

If the slicer accepted a start and end date (range), and did range overlap detection, it would pull in the two events:

Smith-Medical Leave

Johnson-Sales Trip

Currently, these events do not show up and users think this is a flaw in the slicer.

Thank you.

I think you should merge both date columns or use a slicer for each date field to merge filters.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

Thanks for the reply.

Can you explain how to "merge both date columns"

users have a hard time using two slicers.  Furthermore, there are cases where two slicers can miss valid rows that span both sliders, so this is not a correct workaround.

Looks like the best option is to use two Filters at Filter pane instead of merging columns since it's a bit complicated.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.