Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

robtaylor
Frequent Visitor

Template Apps and Custom Data Connectors

Hi,

I am pretty sure I know the answer to this, but the documentation is a little confusing so I thought I would ask here to clarify 100%.

I want to create a template app to put in the power bi marketplace which contains data from a oauth2 api we have made. I have got the data connector working fine. I can see from other questions that Custom Connectors are not supported on Power BI online, only desktop.

My question is are they supported in template apps? Because in the documentation for creating template apps, it specifically calls them out if you have an Oauth2 api (see here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/power-bi/service-template-apps-tips under "Connect to your API".

I don't think they are, which is fine I just want to get the answer direct. If I get my connector certified, will it then be available for use in a marketplace app?

thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
robtaylor
Frequent Visitor

Just bumping this - anyone from Microsoft able to give any answers? thanks!

Hi, 

I've been looking at the same issue and think I might have an answer

If you plan on publishing the template app manually in your organisation or your customer's organisation then custom connectors are fine as they can use a gateway to load the connector. 

If you plan on publishing your template app on app-source then you will only be able to use microsoft approved online connectors. No Gateways allowed. So you'd need to get your connector fully published as a MS approved connector.

That's my take on the current situation. 

Thanks for the reply, funnily enough I just got off a call with someone from the PowerBI team who confirmed that connectors would need to be certified to use in app source. So that is a route we will look at.

He also suggested that I should be able to get my use case working with the REST API connector, so perhaps that has changed since the last time I used it so I will be looking in to that also.

I have a line in to MS on this issue now, so if you have anything to add feel free to reach out 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I have the same question, could you please help to correct me.

According to your reply, the custom data connector will be distributed to online Power BI service (in another words, available in PowerBI.com) after certify, right?

Thanks.

Hi Peter,

Yea that is what I have been told, although we have not gone through that process yet.

Also I think you can get the REST API connector working - when it says not supported, if you fiddler trace it, your API is pinged - PowerBI is looking for an authentication header to know where ouath creds are provided. I haven't built that out yet, if I do I will post some notes back here.

Rob

Just finished testing. Sadly I can't get the Custom Connector to work in the Template App. in the app workspace no problem. But once it becomes a proper app it's off the table. 

So yeah. Either use the existing REST & OData connectors and add your own parameters or get the connector published with Microsoft. 

We're not going to go down the publish route yet so we're going to create an Azure Function as a wrapper for our business logic and parameterise it for use in the template app. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.