Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorting X and Y axis in Charticulator

Hi everyone,

Need your help.

I created a Chart visual in Charticulator, which is looking fine in charticulator. This visual is a kind of Dot plot where X and Y axis show categorical data. But when i import this visual in Power BI , X and Y axis do not come as sorted. 

Please advise.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous ,

Actually, Power BI sort the text type values based on normal alphabetical order, so you would find age group 5-12 is after 30-49 and calls group 11+ is before 6-10... You can refer the content in the following links to make a custom order by creating a order table:

Sort a Column with a Custom Order in Power BI

Custom Sorting in PowerBI

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Could you please provide the related screenshots of chart visual display in Charticulator and Power BI separately? And please provide the sorting rules if it is possible. Thank you.

Best Regards

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-yiruan-msft 
Many thanks for your reply.

Here are the screenshots.

Charticulator issue.png

The dataset was exported from a Power BI table visual as .csv file. This table has three columns

1. Age group - This group is created in Power BI and a sort column was created to order it

2. Calls group - This group is created in Power BI and a sort column was created to order it

3. No. of calls (Power BI DAX measure)

These groups are showing up as expected in the Power BI default visuals like matrix. Showing up as sorted.

*Note - i tried to sort X and Y axis in Charticualtor which allows you to chanage the order of the X and Y axes labels. I manually reordered them with a drag-and-drop interaction.

Hi @Anonymous ,

Actually, Power BI sort the text type values based on normal alphabetical order, so you would find age group 5-12 is after 30-49 and calls group 11+ is before 6-10... You can refer the content in the following links to make a custom order by creating a order table:

Sort a Column with a Custom Order in Power BI

Custom Sorting in PowerBI

Best Regards

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-yiruan-msft 

Thanks for looking into it.

Age group and Calls group are Power BI groups based on Age and call columns and I have already created sort columns in Power BI and sorted Age group and Calls group by those columns. Age group and Calls group show up as sorted in Power BI default visuals.
SortingColumns.png

Hi @Anonymous ,

If you apply this custom sort to your custom chart visual, will it also work or not?

Best Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.