Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Single sign on in "User owns data" approach

Hi All,

I am able to view the Power BI reports in .Net application using samples provided for "User owns data" approach.

However the user needs to login by providing his email id and password before he can view the reports.

Is there any way we can have this login process done using Single Sign On (to validate the user and fetch the access token) and the user is not prompted to enter his authentication details in "User owns data" approach.

Note that we do not want to use "App owns data" approach.

Thanks,

Vinayak

2 REPLIES 2
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi All,

I am able to view the Power BI reports in .Net application using samples provided for "User owns data" approach.

However the user needs to login by providing his email id and password before he can view the reports.

Is there any way we can have this login process done using Single Sign On (to validate the user and fetch the access token) and the user is not prompted to enter his authentication details in "User owns data" approach.

Note that we do not want to use "App owns data" approach.

Thanks,

Vinayak

@Anonymous

I don't know much about Single sign on. As per the documentation Azure Active Directory and Power BI

ADFS is all about Single Sign On.  The idea here is that when I’m in my organization, in the office, it can pick up my Windows Token and I never see a login page having to enter a username an password.  It just comes up.  If you are outside of the office, it will present a login page that is part of the ADFS resource and not the normal Microsoft Online login page.

And The demo User Owns Data already works as highlighted in my test. I don't see any login page popup when clicking the Get Report buttion.

Capture.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Eric_Zhang,

Thank you for the reply.

The code sample provided asks for a login and the site app.powerbi.com too asks for a login every time we open a new browser session.

Does it mean that the ADFS is not configured in our case? 

Is ADFS configuration absolutely essential so that the user is not prompted to enter his user name and password?

We have come across another link here which is also related to similar user authentication scenario.

Thanks,

Vinayak

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors