Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

barathirajavi55
Regular Visitor

Sharepoint Images not rendered in Paginated report (RDL)

Hi,

I need to show the SharePoint images in Power BI paginated report(RDL). Authentication is required to access my SharePoint images. I am not able to show the SharePoint images in the Paginated report. The same SharePoint images could be shown in Power BI but why it's not possible in the Paginated report. I can't place these SharePoint images in the public folder as there is a security concern. Can you help me to fix this issue? @amitchandak @Greg_Deckler

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @barathirajavi55,

I suppose report server reports may use different authorizations that were different from the common power bi service reports.
In my opinion, I'd like to suggest you use the root link of images(not include additional authorizations or redirection) to help render these images.

In addition, you can also try to use the power bi service dataset of the report you mentioned as the source or paginated report, then it should not require the additional authorizations.
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Hi,

To show the images in paginated report, you need to convert the sharepoint images in base64 format. 

Steps:

1.     get the images (Binary format) from sharepoint in power bi

2.     Then convert this to base64 (by changing the datatype to text)

3.     if the image is big, you need to splite this base64 column by 32766 char as power bi has the limitation to read characters in a single cell.

4. This splitted columns need to be combined in Pagined report using below script

=System.Convert.FromBase64String(Splitted column1 + Splitted column 2)

barathirajavi55_0-1649304769882.png

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
martim224
Frequent Visitor

did you ever figure out how to resolve this issue?

Hi,

To show the images in paginated report, you need to convert the sharepoint images in base64 format. 

Steps:

1.     get the images (Binary format) from sharepoint in power bi

2.     Then convert this to base64 (by changing the datatype to text)

3.     if the image is big, you need to splite this base64 column by 32766 char as power bi has the limitation to read characters in a single cell.

4. This splitted columns need to be combined in Pagined report using below script

=System.Convert.FromBase64String(Splitted column1 + Splitted column 2)

barathirajavi55_0-1649304769882.png

How did you do the first step?

When you are talking about Power BI, you mean you have an another Power BI document and not an actual Power Bi Report Builder document?

Hi, this is working if I resize the image below 32. How to split base 64 text in powerBI?

that worked, thank you very much for the information

martim224
Frequent Visitor

I am having the same issue.  I created a URL image measure in PBI and published up to the service.  The images will appear as they should.

When i use the same measure or column from the power bi dataset in paginated reports, the images will not come through. 

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @barathirajavi55,

I suppose report server reports may use different authorizations that were different from the common power bi service reports.
In my opinion, I'd like to suggest you use the root link of images(not include additional authorizations or redirection) to help render these images.

In addition, you can also try to use the power bi service dataset of the report you mentioned as the source or paginated report, then it should not require the additional authorizations.
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.