Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Shared Power BI Dataset Flexibility | What is my best option?

Hey all - I've been playing around with connecting to coworker's Power BI datasets in Desktop via "Power Platform"/"DirectQuery".

I noticed that when I pull in a dataset created by my coworkers, I cannot see the data in the data view and I can't do any kind of DAX or anything.

What is the smartest way for me to go about this? There are probably like 7 tables in this dataset, and I only need 1. I need the ability to do stuff in DAX with this dataset, and with DirectQuery, this is not a possiblity. Should I use Microsoft Graph API to connect and pull in that table?

Or should I use Power Automate to open PBIX file (lives in SharePoint), and copy the table to my OneDrive/SharePoint?

Looking for some advice here.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

You need to change your preview settings 

lbendlin_0-1632607068276.png

Then you can add local data models and do DAX stuff.

As for needing only one table - tough luck, you'll get the entire data model, if you want or not.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

You need to change your preview settings 

lbendlin_0-1632607068276.png

Then you can add local data models and do DAX stuff.

As for needing only one table - tough luck, you'll get the entire data model, if you want or not.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah great - thank you so much. Such a quick and easy fix. This whole time I've been pulling in via DirectQuery to Power BI Dataset and not be able to see/touch the data I'm pulling in - only use in visuals as is. Much appreciated, my friend.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.