Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jcapezzuto
Resolver I
Resolver I

Setting language and locale for embedded report

We are using the Javascript API to embed reports in our web app.  We need to control the report language and locale settings for our users based on settings in our app.  In the example below, we are trying to set the language to Portuguese "pt" and the locale to Portuguese-Brasil "pt-BR".  We are defining the localeSettings (as described here https://github.com/Microsoft/PowerBI-JavaScript/wiki/Embed-Configuration-Details) and can see our settings returned in the embed object (see below) but the settings are not being picked up by the report.

2019-01-22 19_51_56-SiiLA.png

Can anyone offer a suggestion here?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jcapezzuto
Resolver I
Resolver I

We were able to make this work by directly adding &language and &formatlocale parameters to the embed URL.  

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
jcapezzuto
Resolver I
Resolver I

We were able to make this work by directly adding &language and &formatlocale parameters to the embed URL.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Jon,

Do you know if the language and formatLocale settings can affect date formats for slicers (e.g. from MM/DD/YYYY to DD/MM/YYYY)? Thanks.

Yes this will work with slicers but you have to select the date formats that are locale sensitive (they begin with an *)

jcapezzuto_0-1639489979520.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks! Tried adding it to the url as below but still doesn't work.

reportLoadConfIg.embedUrl = `${embedData.reportConfig[0].embedUrl}&language=en&formatLocale=en-AU`;

How were you able to add the parameters directly?

Thank you. 

Sorry I don't know how to code it, here is how the result should look.  Maybe check your syntax.

jcapezzuto_0-1640058377539.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

I managed to pass language and formatLocale in the embedURL and it works nicely. Though, it is not translating my calendar table - have you had any success with this if you even tried it?

Hi.
Just curious because I have kind of the same challenge as you did.

I would like to create some PBI-embedded report where the users should be able to choose which language, they want to display the reports in.

We have created translations in SSAS and would like to use these translations depending on which language they choose in Power Bi embedded.

With your experience do you think this would be possible?
Thanks in advance
Best regards
Brian

Hi Brian,

Yes this is definitely possible but you will need multiple versions of your report (one for each language).  Each report can be created to use the appropriate data translations from SSAS, but the dimension and measure names have to be set directly in the report for each language so they appear correctly in column headings etc. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Jon

Hi jon many thanks for your response.

But shouldn’t you be able  in SSAS to let’s say create a new measure called “VAR, English name” and then in your translation file (json file) translate this to e.g. “VAR, another language”. If you then in you embedded can pass some sort of language parameter, so that the embedded report then either will show you the “VAR, English name” or “VAR, another language” depending of the value in the parameter?
But anyway, we have done some testing in the PBI service, and it doesn’t seem to handle different language correctly.

Again thanks for your answer.

Best regards

Brian

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors