Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Services content packs

Hi all - I have 2 questions about publishing my organization's Services Content Pack that I´m currently working on:

1. Can Custom Visuals be used ? (no copyright issues with authors? etc.)
  2. Can we create multiple dashboards ? (sourced from the same 1 report that´s allowed per Content Pack)

Many thanks

9 REPLIES 9
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

OK, here is the terms of use for the Visualizations Gallery. The way that I read it, basically if the publisher hasn't included any licensing restrictions, then there are none, but custom visualization authors can include licensing restrictions.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/visuals-gallery-terms/

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I *believe* that all custom visuals have to be published under an open use license, I'll try to dig up the details of that.

Yes, you can select multiple dashboards when creating an Organizational Content Pack.

Latest book!:

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the help,

With regards to the multiple dashboards question, did you mean that you can include several dashboards in a single Services Content Pack (I am talking from a developer / publisher p.o.v here)?

Custom Visuals: it seems to me that so far all C.V publishers are using the generic agreement proposed by Microsoft (Exhibit A – Standard Visualization License Terms)

It says that the user may not:

• make more copies of the Visualization than specified in this agreement or allowed by applicable law, despite this limitation; or
  • publish or otherwise make the Visualization available for others to copy.

I guess it all depends on what constitues a "copy" (is it for "within organization" use only?)

I have contacted the publisher (Microsoft Experimental in this particular case) and asked them exactly this question. Will post answer here if I get one ...  

Thanks again

Anonymous
Not applicable

so here is the answer I got from the C.V publisher (Mircrosoft in this case: msrvizsupport@microsoft.com)

Thank you for checking with us on this, including our visuals in your content packs should be fine.  Thanks for using our visuals and have a great day!

Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

so only 1 dashboard allowed for now ...

see at bottom of this page, in summary of descriptions:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-developer-content-pack-authoring/

I really recomend allowing multiple DBs in the future as I find that single dashboards with viz from all sorts of timeframes and dimensions have to be so high level that they dont offer any insight ... the DB is then merely a table of contents for the various reports.  

Hi @Anonymous,

As you know, customized content packs currently require a single report and dataset per content pack. If you want to pack more than one datasets or reports in the content pack, I would suggest you use organizational content packs, which can be also shared with other users. For more information, please refer to links below:

Organizational content packs: Introduction

Tutorial: Create and publish an organizational content pack in Power BI

If you have nay question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your reply,

1 dataset/pack + 1 report/pack is fine ... but only 1 dashbord is very limited.

We cant use Organizational Content Packs as we are not within our customer´s tennant.

We are a 3rd party and want to publish a Services Content Pack (like the ones for for Google analytics and Salesforce) for the customers/users of our software.

Thanks

Hi @Anonymous,

You can submit this idea to Power BI Idea forum.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Here is the original license statement for Power BI Custom Visuals:

https://github.com/Microsoft/PowerBI-visuals-core/blob/master/LICENSE

Latest book!:

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.