Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Service principal raising 401 error - access PBI dataset- DAX query

Hi,

I am trying to use "REST api support for DAX" feature relased by MSFT in aug for public preview.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/announcing-the-public-preview-of-power-bi-rest-api-support-...

I have been able to query dataset and retreive the result using my creds but the issue is i am not able to succeed with SPN.I have set up SPN the way it has been described in the MSFT document below to allow rest api calls with DAX but i am unable to understand what is blocking the SPN.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/develop/howto-create-service-principal-porta...

I receive "401 unauthorized error " with SPN.

My steps:

-created AAD app and SPN

-created AAD security group and added the SPN as member into it

-provided SPN and security group 'admin' access on the PBI workspace

-provided 'dataset.readwrite.all' permission for the app

-added the SPN to allow REST api calls on tenant settings

-Workspace upgraded to v2

Am i mising something ? Also,is it required for me the provide the app with tenant.read.all permission? I dont see this as requirement in msft docs but i did see this in some other online discussions.

2 REPLIES 2
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

As the blog said, this feature is just public preview and it is not released to the stable version. So I think some of the processes may not be up to date. In addition, the blogger also mentions they are working on the document update.

Maybe you can try to contact the power bi team to confirm if any additional settings are required for this new feature.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks .I will contact MSFT with a ticket and see what is wrong.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.