Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

hands-dw
Regular Visitor

Sell Power BI tool to external customers (e.g. Template App?)

I created a Power BI solution based on a specific ERP-system for my own company (including its own connector).

Now, we are thinking about selling that product to other customers of that ERP-system.

We are now facing a couple of issues here.

First of all, we would like to keep the logic of our tool hidden and not hand over to the potential customer. In addition, we prefer to sell it on a subscription basis as we would like to avoid selling it as a consulting product, also because of high one time costs for the potential customer.

So far we thought about a couple of possibilites:

• selling a pbit-file to the customer (logic is handed over to the customer and we only have a one-time sale)

• publishing the tool as a template app (this would be the perfect solution but unfortunately, there is no option of making money out of publishing a template app. So this would only be interesting for some kind of demo version)

• host the tool, therefore also the data, in our own Power BI tenant and invite customers as guest users and assign a Pro license to them (here we have the advantage to sell it on a subscription based level)

• use an external portal such as Power BI Portal: https://www.powerbitiles.com/?app=PBIPortal

Unfortunately, Power BI Portal requires the purchase of a Power BI Embedded license in addtion to the Power BI Portal license which woud cause high costs from the very start of selling our tool

Does anyone have experience on this? All thoughts are highly welcome 🙂

Just one more thing, I do see a high potential in scalability for this product rather than making a big consulting service out of it 🙂

Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
VijayP
Super User
Super User

@hands-dw 

The solution is Power BI Embedded analytics where the customer never know about power bi

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!
MY Blog || My YouTube Channel || Connect with me on Linkedin || My Latest Data Story - Ageing Analysis

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.