Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ctoscher
Helper I
Helper I

Searching multiple columns for embedded report with close/fuzzy matches

We are looking to embed a report for our clients with a list of company names.

They might know the companies by different names than us (we have a list of alternative names for each client) and they can also search by other identifying information like phone number, address, etc.

Many of our clients aren't English speaking and the companies have some weird names (they don't always spell correctly).

We know fuzzy grouping exists in Power BI, but can't find anything from the data filtering side.

We're looking to create a search field in our website and pass the filter along to the Power BI report, but are not sure how to do so.

Ideally, we would have a search bar pass a query to Power BI, which would then take the query and apply it as multiple or filters on the table:

Name

Alt Name

PhoneAddress
ABC Company Inc.ABC Inc.1234567890123 Walloway St
XYZ Holdings Inc.ABC Solutions2345678901124 Walloway St

We're looking to accomplish the following (sample queries below):

• abc retrieves both rows (name or alt name from first row, alt name from second row)
  • abc solutins (poorly spelled solutions) retrieves the second row (alt name mispelled)

Traditionally, we would use Levenshtein distance for the typos to find close matches.

How would we accomplish the above using Power BI? Please keep in mind that this is using the embedded feature, so we're likely to create our own form field in the web and pass it along to Power BI, not use a Power BI plugin unless absolutely necessary.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @ctoscher,

In fact, current power bi filters not support advanced fuzzy match/search. Most custom filter effects required you to write the formula and apply it to the 'visual level filter'.

From SQL to DAX: String Comparison - SQLBI

Applying a measure filter in Power BI - SQLBI

In my opinion, I'd like to suggest you use some advanced tools to process these fields to fix common string issues(typo, synonyms) before getting data to power bi. (e.g. machine learning, ai intelligence analysis)

Regards,
Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @ctoscher,

In fact, current power bi filters not support advanced fuzzy match/search. Most custom filter effects required you to write the formula and apply it to the 'visual level filter'.

From SQL to DAX: String Comparison - SQLBI

Applying a measure filter in Power BI - SQLBI

In my opinion, I'd like to suggest you use some advanced tools to process these fields to fix common string issues(typo, synonyms) before getting data to power bi. (e.g. machine learning, ai intelligence analysis)

Regards,
Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.