Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Row Level Security in Embed Report in a Multi-tenancy application

Hello all,

I am new to PowerBI, but familiar with BI tooling and now I am look for a solution for an existing application for one of my clients, which is already running within in Azure. Currently I have succeeded to :

1. Create a PowerBI environment;
  2. Able to show the report embedded through an Embed token in my application;

So far so good, only in out Multi-tenancy application, a user may only see the reports based on his information and not the others. I then investigated the options:

1. I was able to send a filter with the embed URL, but this made also the filter visible to select the other customers (which we are trying to avoid), so no success;

1. Also I saw the option of a parameter which can be set through the API of PowerBI, but this then would update the report in it's whole and when multiple customers login, this can give issues and they the possibility can occur that the see other information;

So the 2 options are not suitable for our application. I saw you can use DAX to filter on username and this is currently the only way to add row level security to your reports, is this true or are there also other options which I did not found yet?

When this is the case, can only users be added with a PowerBI Pro license or can we also add users on with a free license and connect to reports in the embedded environment or do we need to define them as a Pro License user and is it also possible to add users from outside your own domain to your reports if they have an PowerBI pro license?

Hope to hear from you soon and hope you can help me, so we have all the answers to make the right choices at this stage and can start working on the dashboards and reports in stead of the integration solution.

0 REPLIES 0

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors