cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Right way to get Embedded Token

Hello,

Today i'm using this code in PHP to get a Embedded Token each time that i need view the reports. 

$client = new \GuzzleHttp\Client();
        $url = 'https://login.windows.net/' . $directoryIdAzure . '/oauth2/token';
        try {
            /** @var GuzzleHttp\Client $client **/
            $response = $client->post(

$url,
                [
                    "headers" => [
                        "Accept" => "application/json"
                    ],
                    'form_params' => [
                        'resource'      => 'https://analysis.windows.net/powerbi/api',
                        'client_id'     => $clientIdAzure,
                        'client_secret' => $clientSecretAzure,
                        'grant_type'    => 'password',
                        'username'      => $userPowerBI,
                        'password'      => $passPowerBI,
                        'scope'         => 'openid',
                    ]
                ]
            );

$body = json_decode($response->getBody()->getContents(), true);
            //GET THE TOKEN
            $token = $body['access_token'];

It's work but, i don't know if this is right way to get the token, because at Azure Portal show me many logins each time that token Generated..
login.png

i'm lookin for this API: https://api.powerbi.com/v1.0/myorg/GenerateToken but i don't know use this.

Wich is the right way to generate the Token?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: Right way to get Embedded Token

HI @marcio_fornari,

I think these should more relate to your website design, power bi embedded token has its own expiration time. (stored in expiration field)  Embed Token - Generate Token#embedtoken 

You did not need to invoke generate token API every time you access these contents. BTW, your functions also triggered if web page refreshed or other functions which include multiple threads processing.

I'd like to suggest you create a function to invoke get token api and save token string and expiration date time to session. It should contain if statement to check the session if the token exists or expired to generate a new token or return current token.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

HI @marcio_fornari,

I think these should more relate to your website design, power bi embedded token has its own expiration time. (stored in expiration field)  Embed Token - Generate Token#embedtoken 

You did not need to invoke generate token API every time you access these contents. BTW, your functions also triggered if web page refreshed or other functions which include multiple threads processing.

I'd like to suggest you create a function to invoke get token api and save token string and expiration date time to session. It should contain if statement to check the session if the token exists or expired to generate a new token or return current token.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Hi @v-shex-msft, it's a good ideia save the Token and the Expiration time.

Thank you.

Helpful resources

Announcements
August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

We're excited to announce our first cross-community 'Can You Solve These?' challenge!

Community Blog

Community Blog

Visit our Community Blog for articles, guides, and information created by fellow community members.

Upcoming Events

Upcoming Events

Wondering what events you could join or have an event to promote yourself? Check out our Upcoming Events.

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

We are thrilled to announce we will begin running a monthly webinar series named Power BI Dev Camp.