Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BoNDoK00
Frequent Visitor

Restrict publishing to workspace

I am creating a process for power bi development for a group of developers.  The processes includes CD (Continuous Deployment). 

Development process should be like: 

1. Create a branch, and download the pbix to work on.

2. Do the changes.

3. Commit to branch, and create pull request.

4. Changes added to main branch.

5. Step 4 triggers build and deploy pipelines.

6. Report is published to the workspace.

How can I make sure that developers don't take shortcuts and deploy directly to the workspace?

One option could be to read activities and check for CreateReport event, but this option is not robust enough.

Thank you

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @BoNDoK00 ,

You can restrict that only the certain people can publish the reports to the workspace, please review every role's permissions in the following documentation.

Workspace roles

yingyinr_0-1670317613752.png

In addition, you can refer the following links to make version control for the PBI files.

Version Control with OneDrive, Teams and SharePoint Online

yingyinr_1-1670317651392.png

Power BI Version Control – Ready to use solution

Version control for Power BI files

Setting up Version Control for my Power BI Desktop Files (PBIX) with no additional Cost

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

BoNDoK00
Frequent Visitor

To start Power BI governance using DevOps repositories and pipelines, I couldn't find a way to restrict publication on certain workspaces, other than giving them only viewer access to workspaces.

And given that this is not a solution for me, I will proceed with:

1. Communicating to developers that report publication should only be done through DevOps pipelines,

2. Monitoring power BI Activities to make sure developers are not publishing any reports to certain workspaces.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
BoNDoK00
Frequent Visitor

To start Power BI governance using DevOps repositories and pipelines, I couldn't find a way to restrict publication on certain workspaces, other than giving them only viewer access to workspaces.

And given that this is not a solution for me, I will proceed with:

1. Communicating to developers that report publication should only be done through DevOps pipelines,

2. Monitoring power BI Activities to make sure developers are not publishing any reports to certain workspaces.

v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @BoNDoK00 ,

You can restrict that only the certain people can publish the reports to the workspace, please review every role's permissions in the following documentation.

Workspace roles

yingyinr_0-1670317613752.png

In addition, you can refer the following links to make version control for the PBI files.

Version Control with OneDrive, Teams and SharePoint Online

yingyinr_1-1670317651392.png

Power BI Version Control – Ready to use solution

Version control for Power BI files

Setting up Version Control for my Power BI Desktop Files (PBIX) with no additional Cost

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.