Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rsrwebsupport
Frequent Visitor

Republishing model breaks web reports

I initially created a model in Power BI Desktop, published the model, and then created a report from the model in Power BI web.  I then decided that I wanted to add an additional column to the model, so I added the column in Power BI Desktop and re-published to the existing model in the web.  The model updated successfully, but the report I had created against the model reverted to an empty report (just a blank page with no visualizations).  Just to make sure that the model change didn't break the report somehow, I re-created the report in Power BI web and then re-published the model again from Power BI Desktop, this time with no changes at all, and the same thing happened.  Any idea why this might be happening?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
rsrwebsupport
Frequent Visitor

I made a few new reports in Power BI web and attempted this again.  It looks like only the first report is getting cleared and the rest of them are left as-is.  In Power BI desktop, when I'm working with the schema, I have an empty report visible that I never actually saved, but is it essentially treating the first report in the web as if it's the empty report from Power BI desktop and overwriting it to match?

EDIT: I tried modifying the default empty report in Power BI desktop and re-publishing, and I confirmed that the report that kept getting cleared on the web is in fact linked to the default desktop report.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
rsrwebsupport
Frequent Visitor

I made a few new reports in Power BI web and attempted this again.  It looks like only the first report is getting cleared and the rest of them are left as-is.  In Power BI desktop, when I'm working with the schema, I have an empty report visible that I never actually saved, but is it essentially treating the first report in the web as if it's the empty report from Power BI desktop and overwriting it to match?

EDIT: I tried modifying the default empty report in Power BI desktop and re-publishing, and I confirmed that the report that kept getting cleared on the web is in fact linked to the default desktop report.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.