Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SimoneCordella

Report is duplicated when deployed by API

Hi All,

I'm facing a very common issue when deploying report with API, I have a report connected to a dataset the report is deployed on two different workspaces and each workspace contains a different dataset to which the report should be connected once deployed:

dev workspace:

dev dataset <- report

uat workspace:

uat dataset <- report

When I develop the report is connected to the dev dataset, when I need to move to uat workspace I want to deploy it with devops pipeline using powerbi api. The problem is that the report is duplicated once deployed in the uat workspace so I end up with 2 reports with same name: one connected to the uat dataset (the old report) and one connected to the dev dataset (the one with latest changes). The issue is that PowerBI service consider different the report that I'm going to deploy even if it has the same name of the one already present in the workspace just because it is connected to a different dataset.

I try with different solution:

- remove the report before the deploy and after deploy rebind the report to the correct dataset but I can't use this solution as it change the reportId and so the link of the report;

- change the pbix extension to zip and update the Connections file and then convert back the zip archive to pbix, this doesn't works as when I convert the zip back to pbix the report is corrupted;

- pbi-tools it as the exctract and compile command that allow to change the Connections files and obtain the updated pbix but the extract command is not available in pbi-tools.core so I can't use this command in Azure devops so also this solution doesn't work for me;

There are other way to change the dataset to which a report is connected programmatically?

2 REPLIES 2
SimoneCordella

Hi,

Yes I forgot to mention in the first message but I tryed also them but they suffer of the same issue. The report is duplicated.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Have you considered using deployment pipelines instead?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.