Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

petersi
Helper II
Helper II

Report URL Paramter

I am working on an applicaiton that displays Power BI reports via a WEB app. I have a couple of questions on URL Paramters.

first question

I an using the Power BI API and am preparing the power BI report via the infomration retrieved from the Power I server. Specifically I get the Report URL from the Report object retrieved when querying the report  list from Power BI. I concatinate the filter onto the url supplied in the Report Object. I send this info back to the app and it submits this URL to the Power BI embed operation in the Report URL paramter. When the report shows no filter is applied. I'd like to know how to embed the paramter via the API.

second question

I was hoping that there is a way to combine datasets so that I could specify URL paramters based on a general dataset that contains filter infomration. This general dataset would be joined to other datasets and the joined result would be used in the actual report. I was wondering if this is possible. The reson is that to keep the amount of logic down (from filtering based on speicific reports and their specific datasets) to just a simgle dataset with fields that would be usable across many reports.

third question

when I test the URL parapter feature via calling the Power BI report directly, it works, but I noticed that the filter shows the report paramter in the filter list - and it can be changed. The problem here is I do not want the user to change the paramter that was supplied via the URL. How would I make sure that the report URL paramter does not change.

fourth question

It is stated that the report paramter URL is specific to a report page - since each page of a report has its own URL. I would like to know if there is anyway a paramter could be applied to all pages (as I'm using Power BI via a Web app and accessing a report and not a report page when querying. If this is not p0ossible is there a way to be able to user a paramter on multiple visuals on a report page.

Peter

5 REPLIES 5
petersi
Helper II
Helper II

the fourth question was answered when I found the page that directed me to the clarification of the Power BI JS API. This filtering is much more dynamic than the URL paramter option (which does not work in a Power BI WEB app based setup) and the paramter is configured as a report level filter.

Hi @petersi,

In addition, have you tried using row-level security with Power BI embedded content in your scenario?

Row level security (RLS) can be used to restrict user access to data within dashboards, tiles, reports, and datasets. Multiple, different users can work with those same artifacts all while seeing different data. Embedding supports RLS. For more details, you can refer to this article. Smiley Happy

Regards

We are configured to access Power BI via a web app - and are using one connection to acces Powewr BI. To use multiple access defintions would make it more complex than we want .

Peter

petersi
Helper II
Helper II

realized I had actually already performed what I wanted in question 2. Power BI is a bit unclear why it is doing what its doing, but on the actual report in the relationships tab - there is a way to associate tables (very similar to relational associations) which will allow for further filtering. So I can use a generic dataset and apply filtering based on it across other datasets associated to it. The strange thing is Power BI seems to apply these associations automatically if it can determine similar columns. Which it shouldn't do.

petersi
Helper II
Helper II

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.