Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

AlexCambridgeUK

Report ExportTo PDF limits - 429 response

We have a dedicated Azure capacity (A1) and using REST API to ExportTo PDF, approx 20 pdfs with 3/4 pages in each report. We are receiving a 429 'too many pending requests' response, after about 15 reports. This seems to clear exactly an hour after 1st request. Please can someone confirm which limit we are hitting? The documentation online isn’t clear. 

From this article https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/developer/embedded/export-to#concurrent-requests I have a feeling it could be this:

For public preview, the number of Power BI report pages exported per hour is limited to 50 per capacity.

but the message in the 429 response is 'too many pending requests'. After one hour has elapsed, the first requests made have completed so aren't 'pending'.

We are already delaying 5 seconds between requests and when the first 429 response is received, waiting 5 minutes before retrying. After 1 hour, the remaining 5 reports get exported.

Are there any other limits that could be getting hit?

Is the ExportTo functionality still in public preview?

Are there plans to increase the limit after public preview?

We plan on adding even more reports

Thanks

Alex

6 REPLIES 6
KiranHosakote
Helper V
Helper V

Thanks @dchen!

hi @lars_k and @AlexCambridgeUK

If you're still facing this problem, take a look at BI Helper bihelper.tech which automates the generation of  PDF / PPTX reports from Power BI (Pro and Premium), with slicers and filters applied either in batch mode or at runtime. Our implementation bypasses the limitations of the Power BI API endpoints. 

In BI Helper, you can select pages to print, schedule and generate multi-page PDF / PPTX reports and email them to your users. Our clients routinely run hundreds of reports of up to 30 pages each, with the process fully automated from report generation to delivery. 

BI Helper is simple to configure and use with your Power BI reports and dashboards. It is secure and scalable and we offer a 14 day free trial. Test it out and let us know how it works. 

Kiran Hosakote

BI Helper

lars_k
Advocate I
Advocate I

We are also hitting this limit -- with an A6 scale unit!! We have a large customer launch event later this week and it's going to be a tough thing to explain this arbitrary limit being in place over a year after the public preview was announced. Any update on this, or any help with getting it temporarily lifted for our dedicated capacity, would be greatly appreciated!

I ended up doing the print to PDF all manually from Power BI Desktop which took a couple days then printed PDF in batches. If I could redo, would have liked to automate the whole print-to-PDF and save-in-folder process (maybe could use Python/Autohotkey/Powershell?) 
OR maybe can check out https://bihelper.tech/ that Kiran suggested? Haven't tried it, but it looked like could have been helpful. Good luck with the launch! 

I appreciate the thought 🙂 but this does nothing to help our client. We can't anticipate which filters an end user will want to apply, and that tool would require extensive redevelopment of our solution. The whole point was to use native Power BI Embedded capabilities.

How often does the product team actually read and respond to posts on this forum? I've found the PBI team to be surprisingly hard to get in touch with compared to how other product teams at Microsoft take in feedback.

This experience has left me extremely reluctant to adopt any Power BI preview features, ever.

dchen
Helper I
Helper I

Following, have a lot more exports need to be done ASAP. Please let me know if you find an answer. 

We are getting throttled in a similiar way. After about 12 exports, we are hitting a 429. Waiting 30 seconds between requests and waiting 10 minutes to retry after 429. 

Hi @AlexCambridgeUK and @dchen,

For your PDF printing requirement, do take a look at BI Helper https://bihelper.tech/, an independent tool to automate the generation of  PDF / PPTX reports from Power BI (Pro and Premium), with Excel export of matrix and table visuals. 

With BI Helper, you can select report pages to print, generate multi-page PDF / PPTX reports with slicers and filters applied, and email them to your users. BI Helper has an option to include matrix and table visuals as Excel files, and lots of other advanced features. 

BI Helper is simple to configure and use with your reports and dashboards. It is secure and scalable (hosted on AWS) and offers you a 14 day free trial. Do test it and let me know if it works for you. 

Kiran Hosakote

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors