Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Replace/Translate UserID's into UserNames

1) I have imported a database table into Power BI , and it contains "UserID" values

2) I have exernal CSV file that contains UserID and UserName columns 

3) Now, i would like to replace/translate  all my USER ID values with UserNames in PowerBI table  

Ex: my CSV table 

UserID                      UserName

AAA0000                   Alice

BBB0000                     Bob

please let me know your thoughts 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

you can do all that in Power Query. Either replace the value in the existing column with the value of the merged column and then remove the merged column, or remove the existing column and rename the merged column to the name of the original column. 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

In your Power Query steps use "Merge Tables"  to combine these two sources into one.

Anonymous
Not applicable

hey @lbendlin , I have merged as a new table , but new columns appearing the main report , to better understand i just reframed my question here in reply  , as i could not able to edit my old one 

1) I have imported a database table into Power BI , and it contains "UserID" values

2) I have an external CSV file that contains UserID and UserName columns

3) Now, I would like to replace/translate all my USER ID values with UserNames in PowerBI table

4) Columns already present in my main Power BI report
user ID     manager userID         business owner ID
AAA000     AAA000                       AAA000
BBB0000      BBB0000                   BBB0000

Ex: my CSV table

UserID          UserName

AAA0000         Alice

BBB0000          Bob

how can I replace/map the USerID column wih userName column values wherever it matches

My final table should be as below

user ID         manager userID         Business owner ID

Alice                  Alice                               Alice
Bob                   Bob                                 Bob

please let me know your thoughts

my thoughts have not changed from my earlier reply.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I did merge those two sources into one , but new columns have been generated , but i am looking for replacing/converting  the already existing UserID values into Username from my second source where it matches.

you can do all that in Power Query. Either replace the value in the existing column with the value of the merged column and then remove the merged column, or remove the existing column and rename the merged column to the name of the original column. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @lbendlin  ,

i treid this and it worked 

but in my main report i see some records as below 

AAA0000 | BBB0000 (in the same cell) 

at these places i'm getting null in UserName column 

i have a work around by hard coding these values in my second datasource and map them , but 

how i can do with out that, by some delimiter ignorance or some thing like that ?

SP545_1-1597249487123.png

Add a step where you split columns by pipe ("|") and throw away anything but the first value?

Or maybe improve the quality of your source data.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes i did , it splitting the column into new one and values gets seperated , but i am here tryting to convert those ID's into names as it is with the "|" (pipe) seperated as below 

UserID                                UserName 

AAA000 | BBB000              Alice | Bob 

Just say NO to bad data?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.