Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

aattwater

Refresh Sharepoint Online list data on embedded dashboard hosted in Azure

I've followed this example to get a dashboard embedded in a .NET MVC website. The dashboard is publised to an Azure Power BI workspace collection, then embedded in to a page in my website using the Power BI .NET libraries. The website has authentication (redirects to the login screen at https://login.microsoftonline.com/common/oauth2/authorize) to connect to Sharepoint Online to show list data.

I can refresh the data in Power BI desktop to show the correct, current data, but I can't find anywhere an option to refresh the embedded dashboard which stays at the data at the time the PBIX file was published to Azure.

Could anyone point me in the right direction to be able to acheive refreshing of Sharepoint Online data in an embedded dashboard?

1 REPLY 1
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@aattwater

As far as I know, three ways to refresh the data in Power BI Embedded.

1. If report is importing data, recreate a pbix and re-import it to workspace, no schedule refresh.
  2. If report is using direct query, use Azure SQL database/data warehouse and set the azure credential via REST.
    Patch GatewayDatasource
    Data source connectivity
    Your report would be always up to date, no need to refresh.
  3. Additon to 2, if using direct query to any other on-premises source, there's no gateway supported like in Power BI Service. Say your report is using an on-premises SQL Server, set up an automation process to load the data from SQL Server into the Azure SQL database via an ETL tool like SSIS, then schdule this automation process to run in a certain interval to update the data.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.