Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

FabioN
Frequent Visitor

Refresh SQL Server 2017

Hello all,

I have a Windows Server with an SQL Server 2017 I want to use as the source for Power BI.

I've chosen 'Import' as data source type, since I don't need data to be in real time.

I would like to set a scheduled nightly refresh so that my users (currently testing the Pro licence) get data of the last day when they open the service in browser.

Is this feasible? Do I need Power BI desktop on the server? Do user get automatic updates of the data when they login online?

Thank you very much!

Fabio

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Jayendran
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @FabioN ,

Since you are using a on-premises sql server you need to use a powerbi onpremises gateway to schedule a refresh in powerbi service (app.powerbi.com)

Powerbi desktop is just a client tool to develop powerbi reports. If you install powerbi desktop in the server and open your report(pbix file), yes you will get the updated record in the server alone(on-premises) . In order to use the schedule refresh in powerbi service (cloud) you need a gateway.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Jayendran
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @FabioN ,

Since you are using a on-premises sql server you need to use a powerbi onpremises gateway to schedule a refresh in powerbi service (app.powerbi.com)

Powerbi desktop is just a client tool to develop powerbi reports. If you install powerbi desktop in the server and open your report(pbix file), yes you will get the updated record in the server alone(on-premises) . In order to use the schedule refresh in powerbi service (cloud) you need a gateway.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.