Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

MarkCBB
Helper V
Helper V

Refresh Report Content using API

Hi there,

I am brand new to using the API, I also have a limited understanding about API's in general.

I have created a simple VBA (Excel) code that pushes data into a streaming dataset using the API.

I have now created a simple Report that is linked to that dataset. 

All the above works fine. I would like like to trigger a refresh of the content on the Report page instead of clicking the button "Refresh", is this possible? 

I have tried the following:

Function RefreshPowerBIReportPage()
Dim objHTTP As Object
Dim JsonDt As String
Dim sReportKey As String
Dim sGroupKey As String

sReportKey = ""
sGroupKey = ""

Set objHTTP = CreateObject("WinHttp.WinHttpRequest.5.1")

URL = "https://api.powerbi.com/beta/myorg/groups/" & sGroupKey & "/reports/" & sReportKey & "/UpdateReportContent"

objHTTP.Open "POST", URL, False
objHTTP.setRequestHeader "User-Agent", "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0)"
objHTTP.setRequestHeader "Content-type", "application/x-www-form-urlencoded"
objHTTP.send

End Function
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @MarkCBB,

It should be a dashboard that shows these results in your scenario. Because that's what the dashboard does. I would suggest you vote up this idea. There is a rough workaround. Refresh the whole browser tab in a fixed interval. 

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @MarkCBB,

Since it's a push dataset, the "Refresh" could be different from other general dataset. As far as I know, we need to push the new data through APIs, which acts like "Refresh". So what's the result you expect?

Reference: rest/api/power-bi/pushdatasets and service-real-time-streaming#using-the-streaming-dataset-ui-to-push-data.

Best Regards,

Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello @v-jiascu-msft,

Thank you for taking the time to help me. 

The dataset I am using is a streaming dataset, and it works perfectly on the Dashboard page, however, I have also created a small report page based on the same dataset. the result I am looking for is to have the data in the report page update/refresh itself without the user having to click on the refresh button in the top menu of the report page. The reason for this is that the report page will be displayed on a TV in a call center, and they would like to see the report update as they are working in order to track their real-time performance instead of someone standing up and walking to the TV to click the refresh button.  

Hi @MarkCBB,

It should be a dashboard that shows these results in your scenario. Because that's what the dashboard does. I would suggest you vote up this idea. There is a rough workaround. Refresh the whole browser tab in a fixed interval. 

Best Regards,

Dale

ahhhh, I see, so I can create a visual in the report and pin that to a dashboard and that visual will update just like the visuals that were created in the dashboard. haha, awesome. thank you

You are totally right. Glad you solved it.

Best Regards,

Dale

Voted, thank you for your time Dale. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.