Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

John_IB

Refresh Rate Using the Rest API with a web job.

Hi,

I am trying to figure out how to solve a problem that i have but i am starting to think that maybe i've pushed myself into a corner so to speak.

I've made a my visuals (the fromtend, if you will) for a "logging framework" using PowerBi Reports, where i use Azure log analytics in the background to get data for my different resources in azure by exporting datasets from and importing them to my PowerBi report. Then i published the report to app.powerbi.com so that i could embed it in my sharepoint.

The problem i have is with the refresh rates using a standard tier account/ subscription.

The Power Bi documentations specify that with a standard subscription i can only refresh the report 8 times a day (as in if i where to have premium i would be able to do it 48 times a day). And thats not optimal for a logging framework, at least not in my case...

Then i found that Power BI has a Rest API that i can use to refresh the reports with:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/datasets/refreshdataset

The questions i have are:

If i was to develop lets say a WebJob that refreshes the report lets say every 5 minutes or so, does my subscription still restrict me to 8 refreshes a day? Even though i use the refresh endpoint?

Lets assume worst case scenario, is there any other solution to this without having to scale up my subscription?

Thanks in advance // John 

2 REPLIES 2
TedPattison
Employee
Employee

Today Microsoft only limits scheduled refreshes to 8 per day. There is no limit on how many times you can refresh manually in the Power BI portal or programmatically through the Power Bi Service API.

Hi, Thank for the answer! 🙂

Hmm. is that correct though?

The Power BI team replyed like this on twitter:

Power BI twitter respons

Have i misunderstood the reply maybe?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.