Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

iAm3G
Frequent Visitor

Real time connection to MySQL database

So I have been using PowerBI Desktop to create a "DAILY SALES" report after connecting to my company's MySQL Database and running a ready made query which produces the desired results. The hourly scheduled refreshes are not enough for management as the data changes literally every minute.

Has anyone found a way to get real time results from MySQL into PowerBI or at least used another means or technique to get the updated information from MySQL and somehow stream it to PowerBI Service?

Any insight or ideas to try out would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@iAm3G wrote:

So I have been using PowerBI Desktop to create a "DAILY SALES" report after connecting to my company's MySQL Database and running a ready made query which produces the desired results. The hourly scheduled refreshes are not enough for management as the data changes literally every minute.

Has anyone found a way to get real time results from MySQL into PowerBI or at least used another means or technique to get the updated information from MySQL and somehow stream it to PowerBI Service?

Thanks in advance.

@iAm3G

MySQL is not in the DirectQuery mode list and to lift the 8 times refreshes limitation you may consider to purchase a Power BI Premium license, see Power BI Premium Capacity Tiers.

Another approach would be using real-time datasets and push data via REST API.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@iAm3G wrote:

Thanks in advance.

@iAm3G

MySQL is not in the DirectQuery mode list and to lift the 8 times refreshes limitation you may consider to purchase a Power BI Premium license, see Power BI Premium Capacity Tiers.

@Eric_Zhang wrote:

@iAm3G wrote:

Thanks in advance.

@iAm3G

Thanks for the reply.

Premium is not an option. I have been looking into the REST API with real-time datasets. This will in-fact be my solution going forward. Now I just have to figure out how I can use the DELETE ROWS instruction without unecessarily registering an APP which I will not be creating. Any ways I will mark your response as the solution.

@iAm3G wrote:

@Eric_Zhang wrote:

@iAm3G wrote:

Thanks in advance.

@iAm3G

Thanks for the reply.

Premium is not an option. I have been looking into the REST API with real-time datasets. This will in-fact be my solution going forward. Now I just have to figure out how I can use the DELETE ROWS instruction without unecessarily registering an APP which I will not be creating. Any ways I will mark your response as the solution.

@iAm3G

As Power BI authentication is integrated with Azure AD, it is mandatory to register and use the Azure AD App@. If you have any further question, you can post it in a new thread and @me. 🙂 

Hey,

Did it work for you?

Can you provide some details of how you did it (kind of a tutorial for using Real-Time dataset and push data via Rest API)?

Thanks!

I ended up using PHP and cURL: Below is a complete PHP script from deleting existing data and posting new data (Enable keep historical data in streaming data set) your username must be an email from the AZURE ACTIVE DIRECTORY (xxxxx.onmicrosoft.com) for this SILENT LOGON to work. You need to create an AZURE APP to obtain CLIENT ID AND SECRET Use POSTMAN to get the correct POST / DELETE information when exporting from POSTMAN to cURL $username = 'yourUsername'; $password = 'yourPassword'; $url = 'https://login.windows.net/yourCompanyID/oauth2/token'; $params = array('client_id' => 'yourClientAppID', 'client_secret' => 'yourClientSecret', 'scope' => 'openid', 'resource' => 'https://analysis.windows.net/powerbi/api', 'grant_type' => 'password', 'username' => $username, 'password' => $password ); $ch = curl_init(); curl_setopt_array($ch, array(CURLOPT_URL => $url, CURLOPT_RETURNTRANSFER => true, CURLOPT_ENCODING => '', CURLOPT_MAXREDIRS => 10, CURLOPT_TIMEOUT => 30, CURLOPT_HTTP_VERSION => CURL_HTTP_VERSION_1_1, CURLOPT_POST => true, CURLOPT_POSTFIELDS => $params )); $output = curl_exec($ch); $info = curl_getinfo($ch); $error = curl_error($ch); curl_close($ch); if ($info['http_code'] === 200) { header('Content-Type: ' . $info['content_type']); $response = json_decode($output, true); $accessToken = $response['access_token']; $authorization = 'Authorization: Bearer ' . $accessToken; // DELETE TABLE CONTENTS $ch1 = curl_init(); curl_setopt_array($ch1, array(CURLOPT_URL => 'https://api.powerbi.com/v1.0/myorg/groups/yourCompanyIDinPowerBI/datasets/yourDataSetID/tables/RealT...', CURLOPT_RETURNTRANSFER => true, CURLOPT_ENCODING => '', CURLOPT_MAXREDIRS => 10, CURLOPT_TIMEOUT => 30, CURLOPT_HTTP_VERSION => CURL_HTTP_VERSION_1_1, CURLOPT_CUSTOMREQUEST => 'DELETE', CURLOPT_HTTPHEADER => array($authorization, 'cache-control: no-cache') )); $output1 = curl_exec($ch1); $info1 = curl_getinfo($ch1); $error1 = curl_error($ch1); curl_close($ch1); if ($error1) { echo $error1; } // DELETE TABLE CONTENTS END // POST NEW CONTENT $ch2 = curl_init(); $data = $resArray; curl_setopt_array($ch2, array(CURLOPT_URL => 'https://api.powerbi.com/beta/YourCompanyIDinPowerBI/datasets/YourDataSetID/rows?key=YourKey', CURLOPT_RETURNTRANSFER => true, CURLOPT_ENCODING => '', CURLOPT_MAXREDIRS => 10, CURLOPT_TIMEOUT => 30, CURLOPT_HTTP_VERSION => CURL_HTTP_VERSION_1_1, CURLOPT_CUSTOMREQUEST => 'POST', CURLOPT_POSTFIELDS => $data, CURLOPT_HTTPHEADER => array('Content-Type: application/json', 'Content-Length: ' . strlen($data), 'cache-control: no-cache') )); $output2 = curl_exec($ch2); curl_close($ch2); // POST NEW CONTENT END //var_export ($output2); } ?>

Thanks for sharing.

I dont have visual studio license which is required in following step:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/developer/walkthrough-push-data-get-token

Can we avoid it?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.