Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Jpadda
Regular Visitor

Real-Time Stream Analytics Blob Storage data from Application Insights

HI,

I'm attempting to get some real-time metrics from Application Insights into Power BI. I'm using Continuous Export in AI to push "Exceptions" into blob storage. I'm then using Stream Analytics (using a custom JavaScript function to flatten the data), and pushing this to Power BI. This works nicely. However, I find that I have to update the page or hit refresh to get the latest information in Power BI, i.e. it is not real-time.

Note, sometimes, there are no Exceptions thrown in Application Insights, so the visualization will not change.
To create real-time metrics, I created a Dashboard and tried adding a tile from "Custom Streaming Data" . This pointed to my StreamAnalytics dataset.

In my data set, I have a count, which will always be 1 when there's an exception, and a timestamp.

If there is no data to process with a real-time card, will Power BI just show nothing, or will it show that at the current time, the Exception count was 0? I was hoping for a real-time chart that would show 1, when there was an exception, and 0 if there wasn't.

Thanks

Padda

2 REPLIES 2
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@Jpadda wrote:

HI,

I'm attempting to get some real-time metrics from Application Insights into Power BI. I'm using Continuous Export in AI to push "Exceptions" into blob storage. I'm then using Stream Analytics (using a custom JavaScript function to flatten the data), and pushing this to Power BI. This works nicely. However, I find that I have to update the page or hit refresh to get the latest information in Power BI, i.e. it is not real-time.

Note, sometimes, there are no Exceptions thrown in Application Insights, so the visualization will not change.
To create real-time metrics, I created a Dashboard and tried adding a tile from "Custom Streaming Data" . This pointed to my StreamAnalytics dataset.

In my data set, I have a count, which will always be 1 when there's an exception, and a timestamp.

If there is no data to process with a real-time card, will Power BI just show nothing, or will it show that at the current time, the Exception count was 0? I was hoping for a real-time chart that would show 1, when there was an exception, and 0 if there wasn't.

Thanks

Padda

@Jpadda

Per my test, when there's no new data pushed in, the card visual will show current value for one hour, after one hour it only shows the Power BI water mark. So you may have to push data in a interval less than one hour.

Capture.PNG

Thank you Eric, that is very helpful.

On a related note, is it possible to get this working with a line chart with a time interval of say 10 minutes, where the X-Axis is time, and the Y axis is the value sent from Stream Analytics?

Will the line chart continue to be processed if there's no data being sent to Power BI from Stream Analytics? What I mean is, will the X-axis continue to progress time, even if no data is being sent to it? My aim is to display real-time metrics... but there will be periods of time when nothing is sent to PowerBI, but I'd like it to continue processing, but showing 0.

Thank you.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.