Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Jpadda Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Real-Time Stream Analytics Blob Storage data from Application Insights

HI,

I'm attempting to get some real-time metrics from Application Insights into Power BI. I'm using Continuous Export in AI to push "Exceptions" into blob storage. I'm then using Stream Analytics (using a custom JavaScript function to flatten the data), and pushing this to Power BI. This works nicely. However, I find that I have to update the page or hit refresh to get the latest information in Power BI, i.e. it is not real-time.

Note, sometimes, there are no Exceptions thrown in Application Insights, so the visualization will not change.
To create real-time metrics, I created a Dashboard and tried adding a tile from "Custom Streaming Data" . This pointed to my StreamAnalytics dataset.

In my data set, I have a count, which will always be 1 when there's an exception, and a timestamp.

If there is no data to process with a real-time card, will Power BI just show nothing, or will it show that at the current time, the Exception count was 0? I was hoping for a real-time chart that would show 1, when there was an exception, and 0 if there wasn't.

Thanks

Padda

2 REPLIES 2
Moderator Eric_Zhang

Re: Real-Time Stream Analytics Blob Storage data from Application Insights

@Jpadda wrote:

HI,

I'm attempting to get some real-time metrics from Application Insights into Power BI. I'm using Continuous Export in AI to push "Exceptions" into blob storage. I'm then using Stream Analytics (using a custom JavaScript function to flatten the data), and pushing this to Power BI. This works nicely. However, I find that I have to update the page or hit refresh to get the latest information in Power BI, i.e. it is not real-time.

Note, sometimes, there are no Exceptions thrown in Application Insights, so the visualization will not change.
To create real-time metrics, I created a Dashboard and tried adding a tile from "Custom Streaming Data" . This pointed to my StreamAnalytics dataset.

In my data set, I have a count, which will always be 1 when there's an exception, and a timestamp.

If there is no data to process with a real-time card, will Power BI just show nothing, or will it show that at the current time, the Exception count was 0? I was hoping for a real-time chart that would show 1, when there was an exception, and 0 if there wasn't.

Thanks

Padda

@Jpadda

Per my test, when there's no new data pushed in, the card visual will show current value for one hour, after one hour it only shows the Power BI water mark. So you may have to push data in a interval less than one hour.

Capture.PNG

Jpadda Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Real-Time Stream Analytics Blob Storage data from Application Insights

Thank you Eric, that is very helpful.

On a related note, is it possible to get this working with a line chart with a time interval of say 10 minutes, where the X-Axis is time, and the Y axis is the value sent from Stream Analytics?

Will the line chart continue to be processed if there's no data being sent to Power BI from Stream Analytics? What I mean is, will the X-axis continue to progress time, even if no data is being sent to it? My aim is to display real-time metrics... but there will be periods of time when nothing is sent to PowerBI, but I'd like it to continue processing, but showing 0.

Thank you.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Can You Solve These Challenge

Challenge: Can You Solve These?

Find out how to participate in the first Power BI 'Can You Solve These?' challenge.

New Badges

Incoming: New and Improved Badges

Exciting news: We've given our badges an overhaul and added brand news ones.

Ask Amir Anything

Exclusive LIVE Community Event No. 2 – Ask Amir Anything

Next in our Triple A series: Ask Amir Netz questions about the latest updates, features and future.

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Experience a limitless analytics service built to ingest, prep, manage, and serve data for immediate use in Power BI.

Users Online
Currently online: 295 members 2,778 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: