Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

rasta123
Frequent Visitor

RLS with Power BI Embedded Premium Question?

We are working with Power BI Premium Embedded and want to implement RLS based on Roles, this was available in previous Power BI Embeded service on Azure following the below documentation:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/power-bi-embedded/power-bi-embedded-rls 

in the example from the above link we could use this passing the Role with method below:

var embedToken = PowerBIToken.CreateReportEmbedToken(this.workspaceCollection, this.workspaceId, report.Id, "Andrew Ma", ["Manager"]);'

This does not appear to be available yet and based on what we read it appears it is due this quarter or possibly in a July update.  Can anyone confirm when this will be available via preview or in production?

30 REPLIES 30

Hi,

Any news on RLS? We need to test it asap for dashboards.

Regards,

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/developer/embedded-row-level-security

Already out.

We will announce it in our blog for developers next week.

Great. Which PowerBI.API nuget package version will include these new features? When it will be published? The latest version I can get now is the 2.0.8.17320. It was published on November 19, 2017.  

Someone who can answer my last question?

The last one should work.

No. It doesn't. I get an error message getting the embed token when I use Effective Identity for dashboards. 

@felcolcan,

The latest SDK supports RLS for dashboards.

You might have a problem with your implementation.

Please check out the latest blog post for a code snippet that might help you out.

Aviv, thanks for update.

We have re-developed a new multi-tenant PaaS application on Azure & Azure SQL and the last enhancement we want to make is the embedding of Power BI & Report Visuals.  We have everything hooked up with the new API's and everything seemed to work great.  We have temporarily hard-coded some TenantID column filters into our models, but the last piece of the puzzle was to implement tenant security within our Power BI Models so we don't have to build seperate models for each Tenant.  We are planning on utilizing role based security within our models and passing the tenant ID within the API in order to filter using these roles the data based on that TenantID column. Can we assume this is the best approach and anticipate the Microsoft is going to support this approach fairly soon within Power BI Models and the new API's?  This would allow us to setup a single user account in Azure AD to support each Tenant and connect to his role.  Does that make sense, I am not the developer, but working with him to map out final pieces of the puzzle.

@yuryb wrote:

Yes, currently this is not supported but we're working to enable RLS for the new embedding API. First this will be supported for reports based on Power BI models (not AS on-prem or AS Azure live connections). The RLS roles and username will be passed as additional parameters to GenerateToken API. The current plan is to make this available in August.

Best regards

@yuryb

Thanks for the confirmation. By the way, are you from the product team?

Yes. Looking how to reflect this in my signature

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors