Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

RLS roles in embedded report stopped working

Hi,

I have created an embedded report that includes a language role and a company role. There hasn't been any changes in the roles yet suddenly the report started to send an error message complaining about the relationships. The incident is appearing only in the embedded version - in desktop mode the roles are still working without any problems.

I already tried changing the relationships from both to single but the error keeps coming.

Julkku_1-1639752224023.png

I'm very grateful for any tips!

Julia

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I have experienced this issue as well.  Our users with multiple roles were able to access the data on Thursday, Dec. 16, and on Friday, Dec. 17, many tables were blanked out with the error message and the circled-x in the middle of the data table.  This occurred only with those that had been assigned multiple roles.  Those users with one role had no issues.  We've had no change in the relationships between tables for months and no problem with our multiple role users, until now.   There is no time stamp on the automatic updates, but I'm betting that the Dec, 2021 roll out occured on Dec. 16.  At least all our reviews point to a Microsoft problem and these posts validate that as well.  Please let us know when a solution is available.  We have implemented work arounds, however, the product (Power BI) is malfunctioning and these work arounds are unsustainable for such a vaunted platform as Power BI.
Thank you. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
canastasi__panl

@AnonymousI have come to say that I am experiencing the same issue that you have reported. At the same time as you, my reports return the same error when users are members of two roles. No changes have been made to the dataset recently.

I have experienced this issue as well.  Our users with multiple roles were able to access the data on Thursday, Dec. 16, and on Friday, Dec. 17, many tables were blanked out with the error message and the circled-x in the middle of the data table.  This occurred only with those that had been assigned multiple roles.  Those users with one role had no issues.  We've had no change in the relationships between tables for months and no problem with our multiple role users, until now.   There is no time stamp on the automatic updates, but I'm betting that the Dec, 2021 roll out occured on Dec. 16.  At least all our reviews point to a Microsoft problem and these posts validate that as well.  Please let us know when a solution is available.  We have implemented work arounds, however, the product (Power BI) is malfunctioning and these work arounds are unsustainable for such a vaunted platform as Power BI.
Thank you. 

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

Can you please share more detailed information to help us clarify your scenario? (e.g. data source type, RLS expression, role settings and embedded configurations, relationship type[one: one, one to many, many to many]...) It should help us clarify your question and test to troubleshooting.

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly 

In addition, you can also take a look at the following link about power bi embedded with RLS usages if helps:

Using row-level security with embedded content in Power BI embedded analytics - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.