Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RLS and new embedding API

Hi to all!

Can anyone give some clarity on how can we use row-level security with Power BI Premium in embedded scenarios? Should we create users in Azure AD for every user? Will RLS be supported in starter Power BI Premium plans (EM1)?

Thank you in advance!

9 REPLIES 9
Cleared
Frequent Visitor

Any updates regarding this issue? I am also trying to Power BI Premium and the new embedded API to embedd reports, but i need to apply RLS. All I can find is how to do it using the deprecated Power Bi Embedded service in Azure...

Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@dmitriisolovev wrote:

Hi to all!

Can anyone give some clarity on how can we use row-level security with Power BI Premium in embedded scenarios? Should we create users in Azure AD for every user? Will RLS be supported in starter Power BI Premium plans (EM1)?

Thank you in advance!

@dmitriisolovev

It depends.

If Embedding with Power BI users, you'll need create users in Azure AD for every user and just set the RLS following Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI. In this scenario, RLS just works in the embedded reports as it works in Power BI Service, since each user access the report with their own account.

If Embedding with non-Power BI users, you don't have to create more than one user(for report development). There was also RLS feature for this scenario(see this link), however there's a great change happened in this case, so the content in the link doesn't make sense any longer. I'm still consulting the product team for clarification and would update in this post.

@Eric_Zhang

any update on RLS feature for Non PowerBI Users

@vickyprudhvi

I‘ve not yet got any update from product team and I'd post the update in this post once I get any.

@Eric_Zhang

Still no update? My team was planning on using Power BI Embedded, and RLS was a deal-breaker for us. When the day came to start implementing it, Power BI Embedded had been deprecated and we were "forced" to use the new Power BI API. So discovering that we are unable to use RLS has put the development on hold...

@Cleared

The RLS feature is on the roadmap for the new "Embedding with non-Power BI users" and would come in future releases. You may use a filter as a workaround.

Otherwise you can still use the old Power BI Embedded, it will continue to be available for a limited time.

Hi @Eric_Zhang, can new customers use old Power BI Embedded service in Azure? Or it is available for those users who already used this service as at Power BI Premium GA date?

Thanks!

Hi @Eric_Zhang

When approximately we should be expecting the realese of the RLS feature for non-Power BI users in the new Power BI embedded?

Thanks.

@cyan wrote:

Hi @Eric_Zhang

When approximately we should be expecting the realese of the RLS feature for non-Power BI users in the new Power BI embedded?

Thanks.

@cyan

Maybe in Aug, see the confirmation from Power BI staff in this post.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.